Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shifting all objects in the timeline when dragging one object

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Captivate Gurus,

When I drag an object in the timeline (or attach audio that makes the object last on the screen for a specific amount of time) is there a way to keep the same relative position of all ensuing objects? Currently if I drag an object to make it last longer on the slide (say the time the instructor cut-out is on the slide initially before an activity ) no other objects change on the timeline, and therefore th         ey end up overlapping.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

When you are dragging an object's start or end point on the timeline, if you select multiple objects and then drag their start point, they all move together.  It's might not move them proportionately, but at least it means you don't need to move each one individually.

For example, if you have all the objects nicely synched up but then have a change to the voiceover which means all objects after a given point need to be delayed by a few seconds, just select the layers for those specific objects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are dragging an object's start or end point on the timeline, if you select multiple objects and then drag their start point, they all move together.  It's might not move them proportionately, but at least it means you don't need to move each one individually.

For example, if you have all the objects nicely synched up but then have a change to the voiceover which means all objects after a given point need to be delayed by a few seconds, just select the layers for those specific objects.  If you see a hand cursor, you'll be moving all of them left or right on the timeline as a group. However, if you move your cursor over the starting point of any of these now selected objects you will see a cursor with a vertical line with arrows pointing left and right.  This cursor tells you that you will only be moving that starting point for all objects.  Their ending point will not change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add to Rod's answer, that if you use object audio, it is not really necessary to extend the object timeline to the duration of the audio clip (which has to be done for slide audio without any doubt). Once the object audio has start playing it will continue. By using pausing points in a clever way, you can achieve the same result. Maybe this article can help:

Pausing Captivate's Timeline - Captivate blog

I am busy with an example project where the different types of audio in combination with pausing are demonstrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question. Suppose I have 3000 pieces of video and objects I want to move all at once? How do I select all 3000 pieces at once?

This is easy in Camtasia. In Captivate, I have to select each piece individually and then move them collectively. That is fine if I need to move 3 videos and objects. But impossible for 3000.

How do we do this quickly and easily?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe there is a big misunderstanding here. Camtasia is a typical 'video' production application with one long timeline. Whereas Captivate is a full-blown eLearning authoring tool. It is based on multiple slides, each with its own timeline. Why would you ever have 3000 objects on one slide?  If you increase the duration of one slide by any way, all the slides following on that slide will automatically start later in the project. Please do not compare apples with lemons, they are both useful and healthy, but completely different. Camtasia is a wonderful video capture tool, but Captivate is not limited just to that one feature at all. Managing multiple slide timelines is a lot easier than managing one long project timeline. BTW I have used both...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the question was related to the Video Demo Mode. In this context the question is really important. Even with only 7 Minutes screencast yo can have > 30 objects and you don't want them to get unsynchronized ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From the answer which has been marked by the OP as being correct, this seemed to be about a normal cptx-file, not about a captured Video Demo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources