Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shifting Lines and text

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Completely new to Captivate and have been tasked with getting a course out which translates a classroom based session to an elearning course. This is basically a translation of Power Point at the moment.

I am having problems in a Responsive design slide with how lines and text boxes are moving on a screen. Layout is fine as at Desktop but positions move on Phone size screen. All lines are placed as smart objectives with % on a master slide.

Results shown in images below

Any advice welcome

A

Desktop 1024 x 627Desktop 1024 x 627iPhone X sizeiPhone X size

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My advice is: do not start with a Fluid Boxes project as a newbie, but master first the basics of Captivate. 

That means starting with a Blank project. You can still publish it to Scalable HTML, which means it can be viewed on all devices, but only in Landscape mode.

Especially since you start from a PPT (which certainly will never lead to a real engaging course, bad start point) which has never been meant to be responsive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri

Unfortunatly the timescales and needs are pushing to get a course out with current lock down situation. We hope to revisit course content later this year and for a more engaging experience.

We have gone a long way down the fluid box route at the moment and would be loath to change now.

any advisce on why things are moving?

ThanksA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW  I have been a professor, started to use Captivate for blended learning and newer pedagogical methods (flipped class, problem-based and project-based learning, peer learning) about 15 years ago. Not totally unacquainted with the situation.

Because of the setup of the Fluid boxes. You give control to  Captivat to rearrange and move the fluid boxes and their content. Position Properties were added (they come from the Breakpoint Views workflow) but combining them with the fluid boxes setup increases the complexity. Personally I keep them separated, will use Position Properties setup for slides without fluid boxes, but I suspect you are using it IN fluid boxes. The red arrows are pointing to an indent, all items are still aligned, what do you really mean by 'moving'? I suspect the minimum font size is still set too high, you can decrease it which will make it a little better because reaarangement of text objects will happen later. You would have to show a lot of screenshots: Fluid Boxes on the slide and their setup, the Position properties of some objects (text containers). 

The browser resolution on iPhone is much lower than on desktop. Didn't't look it up, but Apple devices tend to have low viewports, lot of them only 320-360px in width for portrait mode.

I am very sorry but as a starting mechanic you try to put a car engine (PPT) in a big Boeing airplane and expect it to be safe to fly with passengers? Captivate is a great and multifeatured application but you cannot really start to use it as is possible with a simple app like Word. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Again

the insight into the Fluid boxes and Position Properties is helpful and I was suspecting something like this.

Will revisit our layout to work around this

Appreciate that Captivate is very different to MS Office products and is multilayered it is also very different CS products, unfortunatly we are tasked with rapid turbine design and expect a few crashes! Hopefully nobodies get hurts along the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources