Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show & Hide Objects

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help a keen learner with an idea I have for a slide. Also, I'm using Captivate 2019.

In very basic terms, the vision I have is for the slide to have 3 hidden objects and 3 visible buttons.  Each object will be 'paired' with a button, when a button is clicked, it will show its paired object.

There are some conditions I'd like the objects/buttons to have;

-  Only 1 object can be visible at any given time

-  Buttons can be revisited on the slide (basically cycled)

-  The user can click from button to button

-  If the user clicks anywhere else on the slide, the visible object disappears

In advance, I appreciate your time and any help you can offer to achieve my goal.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the easiest solution is to have object with three states, then just have the buttons go to the applicable state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TLC, (this may also change Lilybiri's suggestion)

I done some research on multistate objects.  In reflection, I think my decision to give a basic example was the wrong choice, indeed if I intend to enhance the content at a later date.

If I could pad this out a little further;

The basic concept remains from my initial post, however, I'd like to have each object contain text, multistate does suffice here.  However, I'm hopeful I can achieve scrollable text within the object using the text widget. I read there are some other solutions with a web based widget but I think the scrollable text widget is enough for my needs currently.  Can states still be a solution? (shape & Text widget)

If the above can be achieved, my hope is to then develop the slide some more with how the user can navigate the objects.

What would remain;

The above idea would still be there, allowing the user to cycle through each object by clicking each button in turn. Hiding the last while showing the next.

I'm hopeful if the user clicks anywhere else on the slide, the current visible object(s) then hides.

Further function;

There may be a situation where one button is covered from view when an object is shown - this could be due to a content laden slide.

My idea for this would be that each object(shape) would still contain the text widget in addition to two new buttons.

When that object is visible, the user can click either a '<' or '>'.  What this would do is basically cycle through each object, again hiding the current and showing the next.

here's an image of my slide layout

https://ibb.co/hCMTPK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not specify the version you are using, not if you talk about a

responsive or non responsive project.

Basically you have two possible workflows. I compared recently both in two

blog posts, one with Show/Hide and one with a multistate object. Both are

in the e-learning community.

The problem is you last requirement, when clicking outside of the buttons.

Can only answer when I am sure about type of project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Thank you for responding.

My Captivate version is current, 2019 (11.0.0.243) and this is created on a non responsive blank project, one slide.

I had an idea that I could have a slide sized transparent button that would have an advanced action that would hide all visible objects, perhaps there is a more elegant solution.

I hope I have provided the requisite information for you to answer further.  Also, please provide links to the blogs, I'd very much like to read those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PeeMAC,

I would think that the easiest way to capture clicks outside of the objects would be to proceed as follows:

- Create a shape that covers the area outside of the zone where the person can click (it can just be a large rectangle covering the entire screen if needed)

- Set this shape to act as a button ("Use as button") - Make sure you do this before setting to transparent in the next step (otherwise, you will need to edit object states for the button to make them all transparent)

- Make this shape transparent (Opacity 0% and Stroke Width 0)

- Ensure the shape remains at the bottom of the timeline, below other objects you want to be able to click on

- Open "Actions" for the shape and then either select "Hide [object]" if you just want one object hiding or create an Advanced Action (select "Execute Advanced Actions") and hide all the objects you need

- It the shape's Timing section, you may or not want it to pause the sequence (tick or remove tick on "Pause after x seconds")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are NOT on the most recent version which is 11.0.1.266. 

Great that it is not a fluid boxes project, because it is not at all possible to stack objects in the same location (like the big button covering the whole slide behind other interactive objects). It is tricky to have two interactive objects in the same location for HTML5 output as wel, you will need to do a lot of testing!  I really would recommend, contrary to the other people, to get away from the old Show/Hide process and use multistate objects unless you need to show/hide interactive objects in those groups.

It is annoying to post links because they'll need the answer to be moderated, but here are some:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2018/07/force-clicking-hotspots-comparison-2-workflows/

https://elearning.adobe.com/2018/08/forced-clicking-hotspots-fluid-boxes-project/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lieve,

The Intro section within the first link really does match what I have in mind with being able to track non-forced sequences.  I will try this out on a project and get back to you.  Really great work you do with sharing your knowledge in such places, just great!

I managed to do some work over the weekend on my initial project and I've had some success with having each hidden object show when its button is clicked, hide when it's button is clicked again, hide others and show if another button is clicked and also hide all if anywhere else on the slide is clicked.

I'm in no doubt there are far more elegant solutions compared to what I have achieved, especially for scalability; for example if I decided to use this slide theme as a template on another project but increase the button/object count from 3 to 12, or anything in between.

In the meantime, while I aim to refine my current project and delve in to creating one based on the links you provided, I will post some screen shots of my initial project and if there is any pitfalls to what I've done or refinements I could make, please, if you can, offer some of your thoughts.  Your help is very much appreciated, more so as I'm aware your contribution to this portal is voluntary. (Cap is doffed)

Again, thank you for your time.  Have a great day!

- Paul

CapStationPeeMac.PNG

Accordion Advanced Actions.PNG

PS, thanks for noticing my version is out, I had only recently installed as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources