Highlighted

Slide with Multi State Button and Click Box - iPad Glitch?

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a software simulation lesson where the user is to click a Click Box to advance to the next slide.  On each slide we used to use Roll Overs that provide the learner with a hint on what they should click.  The rollover reveals an image of an arrow.  I am converting our lessons to HTML 5 and realize that rollovers are not compatible.  So, I have replaced the rollover with a multi state button that is set up to do no actions.  I have three states for the button:

Normal State - Shows Hint icon

Roll Over - Shows Hint icon and Arrow pointing to  click box

Down - Shows Hint icon and Arrow pointing to click box

This works just fine on the computer in all web browsers.  However if hold down on the Multi State button, while using an iPad, for about three seconds. The slide will advance forward.  I have removed all actions from the Multi State and timings as well.  I assume that this might be a glitch with iOS, but thought I would ask the group.  I have even removed the Roll Over state in attempts to experiment with this and have even tried using Pause on Success.

The click box is set up to Go to the next slide On Success

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Slide with Multi State Button and Click Box - iPad Glitch?

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a software simulation lesson where the user is to click a Click Box to advance to the next slide.  On each slide we used to use Roll Overs that provide the learner with a hint on what they should click.  The rollover reveals an image of an arrow.  I am converting our lessons to HTML 5 and realize that rollovers are not compatible.  So, I have replaced the rollover with a multi state button that is set up to do no actions.  I have three states for the button:

Normal State - Shows Hint icon

Roll Over - Shows Hint icon and Arrow pointing to  click box

Down - Shows Hint icon and Arrow pointing to click box

This works just fine on the computer in all web browsers.  However if hold down on the Multi State button, while using an iPad, for about three seconds. The slide will advance forward.  I have removed all actions from the Multi State and timings as well.  I assume that this might be a glitch with iOS, but thought I would ask the group.  I have even removed the Roll Over state in attempts to experiment with this and have even tried using Pause on Success.

The click box is set up to Go to the next slide On Success

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 29, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Infinite attempst for click box?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the click box is set for infinite attempts and no shortcuts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody else run across this issue or have any ideas on what else I could do to keep the iPad from bypassing the click box?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suspect that this is not a 'glitch' at all. A long press is a separate event from a touch/tap event, and is getting fired when detected. That may be setting up a condition that will cause the success flag to be set, therefore, advancing to the next slide.

Just a guess and a possible avenue to explore.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a possible creative solution for you - I even tested the idea (desktop and iPad) before sending this reply to ensure the "hint" worked without moving your project forward - even with long touch!

1. Create a new variable that you will use with your "hint" buttons. Maybe call your variable something like fake_hint_toggle, and then assign your new variable = 0 (zero).  You can use the same variable with all of your click boxes at the same time.
  2. Next, setup the action for your "hint" button to use the "Toggle" action to toggle your newly created fake_hint_toggle variable.
  3. Uncheck the Continue Playing the Project option.
    one.png
  4. Turn off Mobile Gestures at publish.
    two.png

BAM! You will be able to use your "hint" buttons without having to worry about advancing your project -  even when a users might do a long touch.

I have another possible idea that works using JavaScript, but the idea above is much a bit simpler.

I hope this idea helps you with creating "hint" buttons using Captivate's awesome states!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are experiencing the long click. It is set to toggle between play/pause in the Captivate player.

You can either turn off ALL the gesture controls: Window --> Mobile Palette

OR

After publish you could edit the CPM.js file to disable just the long click:

find:   cp.m_gestureHandler.enabled&&cp.toggleMoviePlayPause()

and replace with:   /*cp.m_gestureHandler.enabled&&cp.toggleMoviePlayPause()*/

If you change the CPM.js, dont' forget you need to do this every time you publish!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 03, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, be wary of multistate button on mobile devices, I have found that when you have a KC or Quiz slide, the buttons go wonky, they quit working as expected.

See this post:

Knowledge Checks disabling custom buttons on iPads

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 03, 2018 0