Highlighted

Slow loading slide with v2017

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within a learning module I have a slide designed as a timeline with content elements using advanced actions to show/hide to the relevant content, several buttons and navigation elements. See image below of what should be the slide opening content below. This slide content is very slow - blank screen for about 5/6 secs before content appears. Is there a way to add a content loading icon/image to "alert" learners?

YF_Timeline2.png

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Slow loading slide with v2017

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within a learning module I have a slide designed as a timeline with content elements using advanced actions to show/hide to the relevant content, several buttons and navigation elements. See image below of what should be the slide opening content below. This slide content is very slow - blank screen for about 5/6 secs before content appears. Is there a way to add a content loading icon/image to "alert" learners?

YF_Timeline2.png

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 14, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should avoid to have a complicated advanced action On Enter for the first slide of a course, because that is getting on top of all that has to be loaded already on that first slide. Why not have a static slide, like a title slide just before this slide?

You didin't show the advanced action, but I see 'Show/Hide'. Didn't you consider to replace Hide/Show actions by using a multistate object? I use that replacement a lot, has multiple advantages.

Whenever possible use instances of a shared action to replace advanced actions, helps a lot for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the first slide of the module and there is an introductory slide with more static content before the one in question. For "On Enter" for this particular slide I have "No Action".

I am going to try "Shared Actions" to see if this make a difference with loading the content on the slide. I will not be able to do this today. I will let you know if this "works" for me.

Many thanks for responding and challenging me to try new/different ways using Captivate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are publishing this to HTML5 you should already see a loading image when the slide begins.  Have you tested this content on a web server as yet to check this?

Another thing to look into is whether or not you may simply have far too many heavy assets on that same slide and downloading these before play is therefore quite a logical problem to have.  Did you resize your images in a Graphics Editor before inserting them in the slide so that they display at 100% or did you just dump them in there and pull the corners down to resize them on screen.  Many Captivate developers don't realise that doing this just changes the display size of the graphic, not its filesize. 

Also, you appear to have a video play icon on this slide as well.  Are there videos on the slide?  If so, they will also slow things down.

If the timeline in fact DOES need to be this complex, you may be able to spread the content over several slides, one for each point on the timeline. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

Yes, I have published in HTML 5. Loading widget only appears on title slide not other content slides. Is there a way to get the loading widget on slides other the title slide?

Yes, the slide in question is probably content heavy. I have individual grouped items/objects (text, image) for each timeline period - 20 groups in total on this one slide . That is not a video play button. It is next button for navigating within a decade time period e.g. 1648 as opposed to just the "1600s". Trying to avoid a multi slide design as too linear.

I am working on the shared action option suggested by Lieve to see if that makes for a faster downloading of the content to that one slide.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2018 0
Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget the multistate object instead of multple image/text..... groups.  The action will be a lot 'ligher'.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muchas, muchas gracias. I am testing this stuff out - shared actions and multi state objects . I have a lot of content on this one slide that I want to be interactive and optional.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2018 0
Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand it, the loading animation is actually sitting there in the background all the time and only gets seen by the learner when the content for a given slide is still loading and the timeline play is not yet ready to begin.  It's normally hidden from view but gets displayed (made visible) as a visual clue to the learner that things are still loading in the background.

If your slide is pausing for 5 or 6 seconds before beginning to play, AND you are just seeing a blank screen for that duration, BUT the loading graphic does NOT appear, then the issue might be something completely different.  It could be server latency.

Is this content playing locally off your hard drive when it pauses like this, or is it doing this pausing behaviour when played from an LMS?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

I have not finished the course yet, so currently viewing/playing from hard drive and have also tested from an internal network with the same problem. I am going to continue trying all the options/suggestions from this community and see what I can work out over his next week - my deadline.

Many thanks all

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2018 0
Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTML5 output is not designed to be played from a hard drive or a network drive.  It's best tested from a web server environment.  Your issue could turn out to be due to browser security restrictions or something similar interfering with the playback.

So, if only to rule it out as a factor, you need to upload this content to a true web server environment, or else publish to SCORM and use SCORM Cloud's free online service to test it there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be really careful with the multi state objects. We ended up removing them entirely from our course builds as they kept on bugging out while also limiting the control we had over the designs of the slides.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2018 0
Lilybiri LATEST
Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, I never had problems with mutistate objects, they work faster than the old show/hide routine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2018 0
Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deeb2400,

It looks like what you are trying to attempt is a content carousel of sorts. Check out a tutorial I did the other day. This may lend itself well to what you're doing.

Adobe Captivate - Content Carousel Two Ways - YouTube

Paul Wilson, CTDP | https://captivateteacher.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

I did see over the weekend (yeh...what a way to spend weekends) that you have that video on YouTube. I will try to view ASAP.

Many thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2018 0