Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart object use in conditional action

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've Implemented 2 Characters, but as a smartshape. I added some TTS audio to both. So now i want to play the second character after the first one, without using timeline. so i want that if first end to start the second one.

I wanted to do it over conditional formatting, but i do not know how to use the smartobject in the conditional tab(if case).

If "smartshape1" is active

then

"smartshape2" is "invisible"

else

"smartshape2" is "visible"

Perhaps anyone could help me how I can request "smartshape1" in the if case statement

thx Franz

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is the audio triggered, please? TTS audio id normally added to the slide as Slide Audio. I don't know what you mean by '...without using the Timeline' in that case.

If you used the created TTS from the Library to either attach it to the 'shape, filled with a character' (I suspect you meant that in your first sentence) or to be used with a Play Audio command, I still need some more information. It looks bit weird why you don't want to put the second character on the timeline after the first one, if your requirement is just to have the two characters with their audio showing and playing in sequence.

Can you show a screenshot of the Timeline, please!  And give some more explanations of your real goal? Please also tell which version you are using (full version number). Are you planning to have button to switch between the characters?  Since you talk about a conditional action, you need an event to trigger that action: which event would you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

sorry for the inconvenience.

I've attached a screenshot.

I implement a powerpoint to use already confirmed content.

This Slide allows the user to move forward by clicking. So the progress on the timeline is only when user clicks on the movie.

But i want that the shown character are speaking beside. So Julie is starting with Slide beginning but it doesn't matter were Brad is on the timeline, he should start after Julie finished. If i am using only the timeline, user have to wait until he progress the movie and then Brad appears.

So my intent is that the characters are speaking independently from the timeline, especially Brad should start after Julie.

For Both i used the TTS but save the audio directly in the objects.

Hopefully you could understand me better now.captivate screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, not with an imported PPT slide.  I would never do that at all, you'll have tons of problems.

Those slides are movie-slides, trying to reproduce the animations in PPT.  Maybe someone else will help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks anyway,

is someone who has an idea?

many thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is MUCH better to make new slides, NOT import an existing ppt. Your screenshot looks like you did make new slides, though. What do you mean by "movie"? Is there a movie embedded in the ppt that you want to play? Or do you mean the Captivate slide as it moves along the timeline?

Is there a reason that the audio must be independent of the timeline? Do you want users to be able interrupt Julie and skip to Brad? If not, using the timeline is the simplest way to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I told as well. PPT import can only be used if you just want to replicate what happens in the PPT slide, but not meant to add other objects to synchronize with the 'movie' slide created from the PPT.

Timeline looks very weird.  There is a Next button, but its active part is almost non-existent, it will pause the slide before the animations on the PPT imported slide finishes. . The shape filled with the character is also an interactive object, without a pause. Have no idea what its action is. The second shape filled with a character is NOT in the Timeline....

My suspicion is that the OP has no idea about the functionality of the Timeline at all. Sorry if that sounds bit rude. Goal is confusing. The Conditional action makes no sense to me: you cannot check the visibility of any object, you need a user variable for that. There is no way to check if an interactive object is in its active or inactive part. I asked which event would trigger that action, but got no answer neither.

Terminology is always an issue, but here are so many issues to try to understand what is wanted that I just gave up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, I am really at starting point not only with the project but also with this software.

So please trust the screenshot not to much

The Goal is to work with my PPT content. In addition i would like to add some character and some TTS audio.

To implement this to time-line is okay, but it's the maintenance if you want to change something afterwards would create high effort.

This is why i wanted that my characters are linked with the audio what they should speak.

So the question i asked, interest me also in general.

I can only compare the request with powerpoint:

Powerpoint has the function: Animations/Timing/Start: "After Previous". So the assigned object starts when the previous is finished. And this is all i want.

I do not know where i should place the second object "BRAD" He will just appear when the slide progressed to his starting point.

Perhaps there is no solution for that in captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate and PowerPoint are really two different worlds.  Trying to use PowerPoint as your starting source for content in Captivate will be very limiting and time-consuming.  Yes there will be an initial delay if you have to build the content in Captivate to make it look like what you have in PowerPoint, but after that things will flow much more quickly.  If you decide to only edit in PowerPoint and then bring into Captivate each time the overall time to create and maintain your course will likely be longer.

In Captivate slides you would simply add the BRAD object on the timeline so that it appears AFTER the other object. You can drag the object left or right on the timeline to change the exact moment it appears or disappears. It's that simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Powerpoint has no Timeline in the normal sense of that word. It is the first stumbling block in Captivate and you should really try to understand it.  I tried already to tell you about the interactive objects which you inserted (they have a green timeline) and where one of them is pausing the timeline in the middle of the imported PPT slide. Rod supports full what I have told you before: do not use that imported PPT slide to add Captivate objects (like those buttons) before you know the consequences. Here is one out of many blogs I wrote about the timeline, and one Presentation (in Captivate, never use PPT myself):

Pausing Captivate's Timeline - Captivate blog

Captivate's Timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources