• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

smart shape button not working on hot spot question slide

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am wanting to put a main menu navigation button on every slide. I am using a smart shape with the use as button option. The button works fine on every slide except hot spot question slides. Any idea why this might be happening, or suggestions for a workaround? I am using Captivate 2017. I noticed an old post for this problem but there were no responses so I thought I would try again. Thanks!

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using a shortcut for the button and that works. I'm wondering if the on-click scripting is blocked on the hotspot slides. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't limit clicking to only the hotspots, all the space on the hotspot slide will be considered to be clickable (Failure for hotspot). This means clicking on your custom shape button will be considered to be a Failure attempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't limit clicking to hotspots the smart shape can't be clicked on at all, it just makes the spiral animation appear over the smart shape. If the clicking is restricted, you can click on the smartshape and it acts like a button but the script does't run. That is my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a big fan of hot spot questions as they have some serious limitations in my opinion. Can you reimagine the question to use an alternative to a hot spot? For example, I would likely create my own custom interaction in place of the hot spot because of those limitations I mentioned.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of custom interaction would be similar to a hot spot question? Can you provide an example of something similar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any normal slide with an interaction that involves Click Boxes would be similar to a Hot Spot question.  Click Boxes are basically just invisible hit areas that can register a mouse click and execute an action.  You can also use Smart Shape buttons with opacity set to 0% as hit areas too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to see examples of custom Hotspot questions:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/custom-hotspot-questions-in-captivate-8

That article uses shape buttons. Beware: the embedded example is SWF, you'll need a browser with the Flash Player enabled.

http://blog.lilybiri.com/svgs-for-custom-hotspot-question

This workflow is only possible in 11.5. It is the only way to enable a click area which is not rectangular.

I never use the default hotspot slides myself because I want partial scoring if there are multiple hotspots. However if it needs to be a scored quiz slide, you'll not automatically have all the features of the default hotspot slide, like review mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources