Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SmartShape names not showing up in Advance Action builder

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am using Adobe 2017 to build a responsive project.

I cannot make the Advanced Actions builder show the names of NEW SmartShapes.

in this project, I have already made 34 named SmartShapes and there are 8 SmartShapes with the typical auto-generated name such as SmartShape_243.

The 34 SmartShapes that I have named are used as buttons with multiple images.  I then have advance actions that change the image in the SmartShape when it is clicked.  For example, I built checkbox SmartShapes that toggle between checked and unchecked when you click the SmartShape (there is also a rollover image when you hover over the checkbox).

I have successfully used the name of SmartShapes in Advanced Actions multiple times in this project.  However, it seems as if I have reached a limit to creating new names for SmartShapes.  The names of the six new SmartShapes I created on a new slide do not show up in the Advanced Action builder.  If I type the name of the SmartShape in the Advanced Action builder I get a message saying 'Incomplete script'.

Is there a limit to how many SmartShape names Adobe Captivate 2017 can support?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or solutions.

James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check the full version number, please? The most recent is 10.0.1.285.

I don't have access to CP2017 anymore, but I never experienced a limitations on the number of shape buttons. Although, I use shape buttons all the time, one of the reasons is that they can be used timed for the rest of the project and on master slides. One of th goals is to limit the number of those buttons.

You speak about a responsive project? I suspect it is created with Fluid Boxes? Then there is some contradiction: rollpvers are not supported in Fluid Boxes. Or do you use Breakpoint views?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lilybiri

My Captivate 2017 Release version number is 10.0.0.192.  I started this project two days before Captivate 2019 was released.  There was an ambitious publication date and I did not want to take a chance with the new 2019 release.

You are right, each of the slides in my responsive project have fluid boxes.  All of my SmartShapes are in fluid boxes.  The SmartShapes in fluid boxes have a RollOver state.  I think that checking the 'Use as a Button' checkbox, and choosing the Style Name '+button with multiple images' cause the following three states to be created for the SmartShape: Normal (default), RollOver and Down.

Rollover state works on desktop devices that have mice but RollOvers do not work on Mobile devices.

I don't know what Breakpoint views are so I don't think I am using them.

Here is the process I used to create the previous SmartShapes:

Create three images in one PhotoShop file.  All three images are the same size but are on different layers.  Layers are named: Normal, RollOver, and Down (or selected, or checked).  Make the image on each layer match the name of the layer.  Export each layer as a separate image file with the layer name as a suffix.

In Captivate create a rectangular SmartShape in a fluid box about the same aspect ratio as the image.  Name the SmartShape something unique and descriptive such as 'buckle_seat_checkbox' or 'lesson05_disease_stats'.

Check 'Use as Button' and 'Maintain aspect ration'.  Under Style Name choose 'button with multiple images'.  Add the appropriate image to each state of the SmartShape.

I would then write an advanced script to make the button to toggle between Normal and Down State each time the button is clicked.  For the check box example the script looks like:

IF

v_buckle_seat_belt_checkbox  is equal  0

Actions

'Change State of'  buckle_seat_belt_SmartShape  To  checked

Assign  v_buckle_seat_belt_checkbox   with  1

ELSE

'Change State of'  buckle_seat_belt_SmartShape  To  Normal

Assign  v_buckle_seat_belt_checkbox   with  0

Before you write the script create a variable named v_buckle_seat_belt_checkbox and make its (initial) Value  0 (zero).  You also have to create and name the SmartShape buckle_seat_belt_SmartShape so that it shows up in the Advanced Action builder drop-down menu.

This process has worked for about 31 SmartShapes in this project so far.  However, on the new slide, I am building with six SmartShapes in fluid boxes I cannot make the SmartShape names show up in Advanced Action builder's drop-down menu.

I look forward to any solutions or suggestions.

thank you,

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe this could help, so that you understand the limitations of FLuid boxes, because I think you are bumping on them:

Fluid Boxes Or Breakpoint Views? - Captivate blog

Several sentences are worrying me, maybe I misunderstand:

".... Add the appropriate image to each state of the SmartShape."

You cannot add objects to states in a fluid box object, you have to fill th eshape with the image.

Secondly:

"I would then write an advanced script to make the button to toggle between Normal and Down State "

Apparently you don't know the difference between InBuilt states and Custom states. InBuilt states occur in a situation, you do not need to write any script. Down sttate occurse when you press a button, rollover when you hover over the button (and the device supports it). Have a look at this blog post:

About State Commands and a Progress Bar - Captivate blog

Buttons have 4 InBuilt states, drag&drop objects have several inbuilt states.

BTW the most recent version of CP2017 is 10.0.1.285.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources