• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

So - You're looking to get rid of that white screen with play button, eh...?

Advisor ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This play button issue is a persistent frustration for many Captivate users. There are a variety of answers and ideas surrounding the topic and a lot of blame gets placed on the web browsers out there.

It is true that web browsers have introduced some new standards to do away with auto play of audio/video but that is a separate issue than the play button you see on published Captivate projects. Even projects with no audio or video at all deal with this.

Your users will need to interact with your project to hear any automatically played audio - this will not solve that but it will get them to the first slide that you want them to see.

My recommendation is to create meaningful interaction with the project at the beginning - problem solved. If you have already been doing this for years - you know the frustration of making the user click two times now to get going.

Here is my video walkthru of solutions to make it go away. Hopefully it is worth 15 minutes of your time to watch.

Bypass the Play Button - YouTube (15min 29sec) 

This video helps you with a solution to get rid of that blank white screen with a play button when you publish your projects.
TOPICS
Advanced , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job, I have found you can achieve the same result by adding cp.movie.play() after the same cpInit(); function you show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure there are many potential solutions.

Thanks for sharing another one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big thanks for sharing this solution !...

Maybe more useful than the new release !!!... ???...

I have accustomed myself and my projects to this "Play button" now... I think I will keep this solution, and keep in mind that there are easy ways to bypass it, applyed on specific projects.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen a lot of workarounds, most of them work on desktop/laptop but not on mobile devices. I wonder if this was mentioned? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mobile solutions continue to be problematic since a tap and a click are not always considered equal.

I wonder if this would be a good option for the suggestion BehrTrainer offered above.

I have not tried that yet but will need to soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be honest that is what I thought you meant (mobile) and that play button - I did scrub through your video and the play button you address looks almost the same as the one on mobile.

That being said I have used the cp.movie.play(); extensively with iOS , iPhone and iPad and occasional on droid and it has always successfully removed it.

Also you are correct about click event handlers and touch event handlers being handled differently in some cases.  I have gotten around that by listening for device with naviagator.platform and then dynamically assigning.  Here is example -

const device = navigator.platform;
 let listener;
  if (device === "iPad" || device === "iPhone") {
    listener = "touchend";
  } else {
    listener = "click";
  };

$('body').on(listener,()=>{ //my callback});

This is for iPhone, iPad but could easily add other devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice video!

One thing to remember - whenever you update Captivate, any modifcations you made to the "source" HTML files will be overwritten. Make sure to back the files up and to document what you changed and why. Then when the next version of Captivate is released, you can make the same changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources