• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Software Simulation Problems in Captivate 11.5

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been recording software simulations using Captivate since version 5.5, and suddenly with the 11.5 update, most of the mouse actions are not being captured.  We have to press the PrintScreen key for just about every action.

Depending on the application, we may hear the shutter sound or we may not.  We do most of our capturing using our own software product that I doubt others in the community are using, so I also tried it in Excel.  I did a whole bunch of actions, and only got one slide.

I think we are going to have to roll back to the previous version, unless there is a setting I can change.  

I was prompted that I had to set a value in the "AdobeCaptivate.ini" file:  DpiAwareness = 1.  I had to make this change just to do the software simulation capture in the first place.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?  Any ideas for a workaround?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Template files (cptl) are buggy since quite a number of versions, bit amazed that you didn't have issues so far. I would recommend not to use a ctpl file. All design elements can be in the theme, and you can use an external library for much used assets, which you cannot have on a master slide. BTW Software sims use the Blank master slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered something.  We have been using a template to create our captivate projects, and the problem goes along with the template.  I think I'm going to have to create a new template file for 11.5.  I hope I'll be able to import the styles from the old template without triggering the problem.  This template file has gone through several version updates, and probably something is not playing well with the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Template files (cptl) are buggy since quite a number of versions, bit amazed that you didn't have issues so far. I would recommend not to use a ctpl file. All design elements can be in the theme, and you can use an external library for much used assets, which you cannot have on a master slide. BTW Software sims use the Blank master slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing some more testing, I'm certainly having trouble recording software simulation slides in 11.5.  Some of it seems to be related to the template I was using, but I cannot get it to work reliably, even with no template.

I've decided to roll back to 11.0.  However, I have decided to take your advice to start using themes instead of templates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means I have been persuasive! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have people on our team who have experienced this issue with capturing as well. We don’t use template files, instead cptx files with custom themes as Lilybiri​ suggests.

Two things to try when capturing:

1. Not sure if you’re using a single monitor, but we like to use our laptop and a second monitor to capture simulations in full screen and have our workflow/script on the second monitor. We’ve found that captures are more reliable when done from the main devices monitor and not the secondary one that is connected. Seems to not affect everyone on the team but happens enough that we are all aware of it.

2. Many of us have had to select the option to run the program in Compatibility Mode (for a previous windows version - we just use the default) in order to capture effectively. but, leaving in compatibility mode while working in captivate seems to bog it down and everything becomes very slow to respond. So we deselect the option when authoring.

Both of these have fixed those exact issues you’ve mentioned about not capturing the mouse, and capturing only a single slide. Just our experience. Might not work for you but maybe worth trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to capture on the primary monitor, that is a recommendation I have given multiple times. Moreover you need to run Captivate with the setting 'Run as Administrator'. I never had to use compatibility setting myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you find that  it is hard to do software simulations in Captivate? I feel the product does not produce high quality output. any thoughts? Any examples of your software simulations that you could share. Maybe I’m not doing something right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still believe that Captivate has one of the best workflows to create software sims in Training and Assessment mode.

However to create a pure passie demonstration video I NEVER use software sims anymore, but Video Demo. Or, if you want Camtasia. I prefer Video Demo because the integration in Captivate files is much easier than with Camtasia videos. Do not forget to set the Recording, Video Demo to record in 32-bit instead of 16-bit and choose an appropriate resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am also having this issue. I reached out to Adobe Support and we have tried a multitude of things. I can't seem to get any of them to work? How can I go back to the previous Adobe (remove the update)? I am using Adobe Captivate 2019 with Windows 10. We have done the following and it still doesn't work.

1. Go to location C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 2019 x64, opened utils folder and double clicked "CleanPreferencesWin.bat.file" - no resolution with this
  2. Ran Adobe Captivate as Administrator - no resolution with this
  3. Updated all Drivers: Device Manager Window --> Update Drivers for Audio & Video - no resolution after restarting computer
  4. Tried running Adobe Captivate on Local Admin Account - no resolution
  5. Ran Program on different screen resolutions, only 1 monitor, etc. - no resolution
  6. Uninstalled and reinstalled
  7. Troubleshooted with compatibility mode - no resolution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources