• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Splitting, trimming, editing frames - how?!

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2010 Feb 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Without much knowledge of the technical terms of Captivate, I've struggled to find any relevant posts on this - apologies if this has been covered before in some detail (and I'm sure it has)

I've been getting to grips with Captivate 4 and have recorded simple software simulations of a powerpoint activity for a training video.

On one of the slides that I have created, I only want the first few seconds or 'frames' of an animation as a 'still image' which I can add captions and audio to - basically I don't need the rest of the animation that Captivate created for that slide (which is a mouse cursor expanding the notes pane in powerpoint). Obivously I can't delete the slide itself.

Is there a way to see the animation Captivate has created as frames, so that I can split the video and / or delete any animated frames I don't want? I've used timelines in iMovie and Final cut express (Mac movie editing programmes)  and found it very easy to do so. I'm sure Captivate will be far richer than either of those two consuumer editors, but have now idea how!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2010 Feb 01, 2010

Hello,

From your question I detect that you had the demonstration captured in Full Motion Recording? Or that you are talking about some portion that has been recorded by CP in FMR. Do you see a 'camera' icon on the slide (in the Filmstrip)? If this is the case, open the Library window, click with the right mouse button on the slide and choose 'Find in Library'. The FMR will be selected in the library (folder Media), click on it with the right mouse button and choose "Edit with FMR-editor". Howeve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

From your question I detect that you had the demonstration captured in Full Motion Recording? Or that you are talking about some portion that has been recorded by CP in FMR. Do you see a 'camera' icon on the slide (in the Filmstrip)? If this is the case, open the Library window, click with the right mouse button on the slide and choose 'Find in Library'. The FMR will be selected in the library (folder Media), click on it with the right mouse button and choose "Edit with FMR-editor". However the editing possiblities are limited.

Perhaps it would be easier just to capture the 'still image' that you want. Be sure to choose for 'Automatic recording'  (still camera, second button in the capture toolbar) or eventually Manual Recording (fourth button, with the mountains icon). Press Printscreen to have a still image wanted.

Hope you do not mind my explaining somehow the natural workflow in CP? Contrary to other screencapture software, CP excels in capturing still images whenever a change has to be recorded, and switches only to FMR (video mode) when really necessary, p.e. for drag and drop or other mouse activities. This is called the 'Automatic recording' mode. Not only is this resulting in much smaller filesize than a total video recording, but the editing possibilities are far greater: you can add rollovers, text captions, images, objects and time them to your wishes. This gives you a lot more control.

If you need more explanation, fire away, I'd be glad to help.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you indeed - a very clear and helpful answer.

Not to mention quick!

Cheers again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybri A new twist to this older and very valuable solution. I ma using Captivate 2019. My slide has brief motion but does not have the camera icon. How can I find and trim the video file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please start a new thread, this one is over 10 years old.

The UI has already changed twice since the version here. Can you explain your problems in a new thread? FMR slides are best replaced by Video Demo slides now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources