• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stopping an audio file playing on return to slide

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - i've found answer on this for C2017, and i've tried to set this up but it's not worked. I'm using Captivate 2019 and wondering if the steps are slightly different?

To confirm, i have a slide (slide 1)  with 6 buttons on - users can either click to view a particular slide/video or click proceed to view in order. On each slide they then have a back button which will take them back to slide 1. On returning to slide 1 the audio file plays again, if it's the users second visit I don't want the audio to play.

The steps i've taken are as follows;

Created variable for number of visits

Set up advanced action as follows

I've then added this action as and Execute Advanced action on enter, but the audio is still playing.

Any ideas? Hopefully it's just something small i've missed!

Thanks all.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm....new to advanced actions? Why did you use 'IF 1 is equal to 1' in the first decision?  It is a standard action, just uncheck the 'Conditional' checkbox. That was identical in CP2017, your solution seems to be very old.  I have been writing out such a solution for CP6. I recognize the variable, that is the one I always yuse to track visits v_visit.

The On Enter action will be executed if you re-enter the slide with those 6 buttons. Is that the case? How did you test, please? If this is a non-responsive project, you need to test with F11, Preveiwe HTML inBrowser.

Have a look at this movie:

Play Audio first time

You will see two possiblities. The first one is what you need., although th emicronavigation one is very useful as well.  This is the Preview of the action you could use:

EnterAudio.png

Be sure: I created and tested in CP2019, version 11.0.1.266. The Preview buttnn in Advanced Actions is the first gutton of the top right control panel (looks like an arrow). Watch the first decision which is not conditional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've watched your example videos before and you're correct, the first option is exactly what i want to create - I just don't know the steps i need to take in captivate itself to put that in place!

I am pretty new to Captivate entirely and definitely to advanced actions.

I've unchecked the condtional checkbox and that hasn't made a difference- I was following the steps you posted in a previous question from a user with exactly the same issue (it was from November 2017 so not ages ago). I asked if it was different in 2019 as my advanced actions windows don't have the same options (show in my screenshots).

I tested by previewing the project as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a non-responsive project, please? If Yes, you need to use Preview HTML in Browser.

Create the action I showed above, and trigger it with the On Enter event of the that 6-button slide. But you have to make sure that none of those buttons shows something that is IN the slide, they have to come BACK to the slide from aother slide to trigger the On Enter action.

There is NO difference between CP2017 and CP2019 for Advanced actions dialog box. You must have seen ans answer given for a previous version of Captivate. Complete explanation of the Advanced Actions dialog box which was refurbished  in CP2017 can be found in:

Advanced Actions Dialog box in Captivate 2017 - Captivate blog

Only one new command 'Jump to Bookmark' but that is only for an Interactive Video project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a responsive project.

I'm not sure i understand this bit

"But you have to make sure that none of those buttons shows something that is IN the slide, they have to come BACK to the slide from aother slide to trigger the On Enter action."

There are 6 buttons, which take the users to 6 different slides which contain video content and a back button. Each back button takes them to the original slide with the 6 buttons.

Thanks for your patience - i'm very new to captivate and not a tech person!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I explained the difference between going to the first frame of a slide, and re-entering a slide in this blog post: The On Enter action of the slide is only executed in the second scenario. Since you confirmed that you are coming back from another slide that condition is fulfilled.

Replay (slide) Button - Captivate blog

Problem with trying to achieve something that is not really in your skillset yet is that you lose a lot of time. I try to help you as much as possilble. Did you ever take some training? Captivate is a very powerful application, but without some training if you want to do some advanced stuff, it can become a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem in a non-responsive project with Slide Audio with a slightly different approach. I'm hoping the solution works for you though:

1. Added 0.5 sec Silence to the beginning of Slide Audio.
  2. Adjust animating objects to not show for the first half second, but leave the buttons visible from the beginning.
  3. Create Variable with a value of 0 (mine is called "playonce")
  4. Create below Advanced Action

ConditionalAction_IF.png

ConditionalAction_ELSE.png

So I think the difference are using Increment vs Assign. In this situation, I think Assign might be a better option since we are looking for a binary answer (yes/no, true/false, 0/1) whereas increment can give you multiple answers. Why have the action create multiple answers when you only need two?

I decided to use Slide Audio because I needed the Close Captioning. Normally, my closed caption would provide the onscreen instructions, so I'll had in another action to reveal the instructions as an object to have alternative instructions appear. I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blog with full explantion of an advanced/shared action usign micro-navigation:

Play Audio once on First Visit - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6 dozen to one, half a dozen to another

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What do you mean, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources