• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Storing quiz answers offline & multiple entry questions. Captivate 2017.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

This is my first time using Captivate 2017, so had a few questions before I hopefully use it for my project.

I want to use it primarily as a replacement for a paper & pencil test.  I want to be able to store the users answers in an offline file so it can be reviewed by the candidates manager at a later stage.  From looking at the software, it only appears that I can get an instant score for the questions without the answers being saved offline.

The test has to be offline as the test platforms are not allowed on the network or for internet use, therefore all results & corresponding candidate name will have to be saved in an offline file on the laptop.

How can I do this?

Secondly, I have some questions where there are multiple text entry answers.  Captivate doesn't have this type of question available.  Surely this can be done somehow.

Please can someone help me with these 2 issues!

Thanks in advance - I am reluctant to use paper & pens again for the test!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For text entry questions: Don't use a Question slide. Place as many Text Entry Boxes as you wish on a normal slide. For each TEB check the Validate User Input checkbox in the Style tab, then check the Include in Quiz checkbox at the bottom of the Actions tab. Each TEB will now be listed as a separate question in your overall quiz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I will have a play & try & get this to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will NOT be able to store anything from the quiz to a file. You need server-side scripts to be able to write info to a file or create a file.

If all users are going to be using specific computers you could write the info to localStorage and then use a specific html file to retrieve the information and then press a button to save the info and open a csv file. You can then save the file.

I have developed a solution that does this for a hospital that was not connected to a network and patients were given an iPad to answers questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help!

Each user will have their own laptop for the test, so that should mean your solution should work.

As I said in the first post, I'm green to Captivate, so as many pointers would be great!  How do I write the answers in localstorage then do the following steps?  Do you have a tutorial I could follow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easiest way is to use the CpExtra widget by InfoSemantics. Alterntative is to write some JS.

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-widgets/cpextra

Since you are a newbie, do not forget to check the Advanced Interactions panel to verify all scored objects and quiz slides and check the total possible score. Have also a look at:

Using Quizzing System Variables - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If each user has their own laptop you are going to need to put the html file that reads the localStorage on each laptop. You would then need a way to aggregate the csv files or be able to mail them to someone to aggregate.

The way it works is you use JavaScript or cpExtra to write the quiz variables to local storage.

You then launch the html file which uses JavaScript to build an html page that displays the information and has a button you press to save the csv file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources