• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Storing Test Results

LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to store quiz results to a MySQL database or do we need to use some third party LMS?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way is using a LMS indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Score slide, which is automatically inserted when having Question slides, will show the content of several quizzing system variables to the learner. Those results are transferred to the LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri  wrote

The easiest way is using a LMS indeed.

What are some of the most common LMS out there? I guess that is the direction I will have to take.

I am sure Captivate Prime is the best but that is out of our price range.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moodle is free, maybe give it a try. If you want to extend functionality it means programming or paying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked at Moodle. But it is very unclear how people would access the quizzes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to set up reporting in Quiz, Preferences in Captivate. When you publish to HTML, you get a SCO which is a zipped folder containing all the necessary files for uploading to a LMS. Upload such a SCO to the LMS and you are OK. The quiz results will be transferred if the learner has done the course, and transferred to his gradebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I get how to get it to Moodle. My issue is that it is not clear how the learner would access the quiz and only quizzes that they should have access to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And do learners have to set up a Moodle account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Accounts have to be set up by the LMS admininstrators.  This is very easy in Captivate Prime, may be harder in other LMS's. It is not the kearner who set up the account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Brad,

I'm also really interested in this. I don't like the quiz functionality inside captivate as it's too limiting aesthetically, so we create our own. I'm trying to look for a way for captivates scorm package to report out on variables and other areas that I would like to report. I found a widget on CPGuru website however I don't know if it's up to date and available for the current version of Captivate 2019.

We use SAP Success Factors for our organisation of 800 people. I'll keep you up to date if I find a solution to this as for whatever reason, the files are not sending the data through to our LMS in order to generate a report from the LMS side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael Lund's widgets are AFAIK SWF only. He is CpGuru.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lily, do you know of any other way to report on custom variables/etc. out to something like googledocs or an sql database?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't remember exactly, but search if TLCMediaDesign hasn't answered this, using JS? Some LMS's allow to view values of variables, not all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad,

I just completed a needs assessment for an LMS and found https://findanlms.com/ to be helpful with narrowing down what I wanted (discussions I needed to have with stakeholders) to give me a starting point on where to go. From there, I went to https://www.capterra.com/learning-management-system-software/ in order to read reviews and find out what functionality was available.

For my own work, I use Wordpress, so I went with LearnDash, which meets my needs. For other organizations, I've used a number of options. The one the company I did the work with has an SQL developer so they needed the data stored there to integrate it with their systems. I don't know any MySQL ones specifically, but I'm sure there are some out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello !...

I'm also interested by this subject... And the limited number of learners prevents me from using a LMS...

I found this while ago and maybe it will help you :

Using JavaScript, PHP and MySQL to Log Captivate Variable Data - eLearning

(Didn't try it... )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some info here on how to connect to a server:

Report quiz results to an internal server

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderator: spam removed, nothing to do with question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Brad,

Its already a couple months so hopefully you found your answers. However, if you did not, or if there is someone else with same question, I hope this might help.

There are several ways to do it, but it depends a lot on how you are hosting the content and how much you can get into code.

If you are using SCORM you need an LMS, and you can use Moodle or something similar. Still, if I remember correctly, it doesn't store the answers from users if you need that too.

If you are hosting without an LMS, you can either try some javascript methods like mentioned by Le Dirlo.., or you can publish for Tin Can API (also known as xAPI). Experience API is the next generation of SCORM that doesn't require an LMS. You will need:

1. An LRS that supports MySQL as you need data in MySQL. So far I know of Free ADL LRS, and paid GrassBlade LRS, that stores data in MySQL.

2. Build a Tin Can URL, and load the content in an iframe or create a hyperlink to launch the content. In the link, you basically pass the user's name, user email id (or any other identifier), and the LRS details when you want to send the data to. Exact information is available everywhere on internet and you will be able to use it. If you face problem with that I can help. When user name/email is not available from their login, I either create a simple form in HTML to ask for that information, or I use the IP to keep the data fairly separate.

Now when anyone uses the content, you get the data in the LRS's MySQL tables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources