• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SVG Questions

Contributor ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the additional options available now in Cap2019 for using SVGs, I have a couple of questions.

Background: We have a standard template that we use for all our training, and multiple themes to use (mainly for color changes) for the various major apps that we train. 

Questions:

1. Now that we can edit colors of SVG images within Captivate, can those colors be tied to either a theme or a style to maintain consistency?

2. It doesn't appear that the Copy/Paste Appearance options are available for SVGs - unless I'm missing something. Correct?

3. Is it possible in the creation of the SVGs (using Inkscape or Illustrator) to "lock" layers or parts of an image so that the color of those specific layers/parts can not be edited within Captivate?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you visit my blog you'll see that I have showed many examples for using SVGs. However their use is still limited and you'll not get the answers you want to have to your questions.

Q1 You can use a Theme color when editing a SVG in Captivate (I never use another color) but the problem is that you cannot define an object style for a SVG, which means the answer to this question is negative. This is particularly annoying when using SVG as a button, reason why it is still not my preferred button solution:
http://blog.lilybiri.com/overvew-6-button-types

Q2 Similar.  In reality I only use Copy/Paste Appearance to be able to move a text style (which doesn't exist in the Object Style Manager which has only object styles) from one item to another, before defining the object style. See:
http://blog.lilybiri.com/using-copy-slash-paste-appearance-in-11-dot-5-0
Negative answer, and I perfectly understand the logic here: how will you transfer the appearance (style) of an SVG with 3 colors to another one with 5 colors? 

Q3 The roundtripping with Illustrator (sorry I don't use InkScape) is not at the same level as with Photoshop. I still hope it will be improved in future releases. The answer is negative again. Beware: the possibility to edit colors in Captivate is also limited. Use it only for simple SVGs. In other circumstances I will use Illustrator for editing. AI has a pretty nice Export Assets feature.

Nevertheless, the main reason why I still appreciate SVGs is for two reasons:

• crispness in all resolutions, makes them excellent for responsive projects
  • the unique feature that you can limit the clickable reason for a SVG used as button to the image instead of the surrounding bounding box; for that reason SVGs are excellent for games; beware: not perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources