Highlighted

TEB for name / next slide advanced action troubleshooting

New Here ,
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a course that allows learners to type in their name which will appear on future slides. I am running into a problem with the Submit button advanced action script to advance the learner to the next slide.

I have the variables v_name and v_null created (with no value in the value field).

I created a conditional advanced action to trigger a “Try Again” warning (named Text Caption) if no name is entered, and advance to the next slide if a name IS entered. However, I can’t get it to work the way I need to. Right now it just triggers the “Try Again” warning and doesn’t seem to recognize the TEB has a name entered to trigger the Else action.

The action goes as follows:

If all conditions are true: v_name is equal to v_null

Then: Show Text Caption

Expression cpcmndGoToFrame= cpinfoCurrentFrame -1

Else: Go to next slide

I have tried altering the advanced action to hide the Text Caption on the Else command, but it didn’t work. I have tried changing the v_name part of the If to the TEB, but again that wasn’t the answer either. I shortened the TEB to 0.1 seconds shorter than the slide. It’s also the the item on top in my timeline.

It’s possible that this advanced action worked for previous versions of Captivate, but not 2017, as I have flipped through numerous old blog posts. I appreciate any insight on this.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Lilybiri | Most Valuable Participant

I just double-checked. It is indeed again the micronavigation that is no longer working for HTML output in CP2017. I logged that bug, sent several example files over, but it is not fixed. There is a workaround to reactivate the TEB, even two worarounds, but they are cumbersome to my taste.

Workaround 1:

Use the approach with the dummy slide which I explained in my recent blog post (tip 2)

Easy Timeline Tweaks - Captivate blog

Workaround 2 demoed in the movie Clear TEB

Here I use the On Enter action of the slide to store the frame number in a user variable v_start. You'll have to replace the present expression by:

cpCMndGotoFrameAndResume = v_start -1

Both can have flickering effects, another bug that is not yet fixed (since CP6).

I am sorry that the original solution which worked perfectly is now broken.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

TEB for name / next slide advanced action troubleshooting

New Here ,
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a course that allows learners to type in their name which will appear on future slides. I am running into a problem with the Submit button advanced action script to advance the learner to the next slide.

I have the variables v_name and v_null created (with no value in the value field).

I created a conditional advanced action to trigger a “Try Again” warning (named Text Caption) if no name is entered, and advance to the next slide if a name IS entered. However, I can’t get it to work the way I need to. Right now it just triggers the “Try Again” warning and doesn’t seem to recognize the TEB has a name entered to trigger the Else action.

The action goes as follows:

If all conditions are true: v_name is equal to v_null

Then: Show Text Caption

Expression cpcmndGoToFrame= cpinfoCurrentFrame -1

Else: Go to next slide

I have tried altering the advanced action to hide the Text Caption on the Else command, but it didn’t work. I have tried changing the v_name part of the If to the TEB, but again that wasn’t the answer either. I shortened the TEB to 0.1 seconds shorter than the slide. It’s also the the item on top in my timeline.

It’s possible that this advanced action worked for previous versions of Captivate, but not 2017, as I have flipped through numerous old blog posts. I appreciate any insight on this.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Lilybiri | Most Valuable Participant

I just double-checked. It is indeed again the micronavigation that is no longer working for HTML output in CP2017. I logged that bug, sent several example files over, but it is not fixed. There is a workaround to reactivate the TEB, even two worarounds, but they are cumbersome to my taste.

Workaround 1:

Use the approach with the dummy slide which I explained in my recent blog post (tip 2)

Here I use the On Enter action of the slide to store the frame number in a user variable v_start. You'll have to replace the present expression by:

Both can have flickering effects, another bug that is not yet fixed (since CP6).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this never appeared in my InBox. Only a coincidence that I found it in the eLearning Community portal.

The TEB is not validated, right? It has Infinite attempts and you kept the default pausing point at 1,5secs?

Can you test whether it is functioning when you type in a name on first attempt? That would confirm my suspicion that the micronavigation is failing. If it is not functioning with a name in first attempt, I would have to explore more. But just now will have a 1 hour meeting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assign the TEB's variable with v_name

Your advanced action could look like this:

if v_name not equal to v_null

go to next slide

else

show (your Try Again box)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, what would that change? How will you reactivate the TEB in that case? It is not validated, which means it is no longer active when you have clicked the Submit button and the Success action has been done.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was a matter of checking for an empty string and not letting the learner advance if that were the case.

After clicking Submit, the learner is on the next slide, v_name == [the name they entered]

Make sure Retain Text is unchecked to clear the TEB on slide re-enter, if desired.

Maybe I misunderstood the intended functionality.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP referred to my blog post 'Where is Null'. User needs to type in something before being able to proceed, which means the TEB has to be reactivated. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see. Did not realize it was getting 'de-activated.'

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround 1:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to hijack the thread, but since I'm relatively new to CP (and it may benefit other new users), can you please explain what you mean by "micronavigation is no longer working"? Specifically, what worked previously, and what doesn't work now?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I explained micronavigation in an old blog post: Micro-Navigation in Adobe Captivate - Captivate blog

It was also part of my presentation on the TImeline, part 2 in DC last week.

You could use that all the time in previous versions, and for SWF output. The idea with the TEB was to move the playhead back so that it would be in the active part of the TEB again because Submit confirmed the entry and the playhead was in the inactive aprt of the TEB. That is no longer working now. To make the TEB active again you need to re-enter the slide, hence my two workarounds which suffer from flickering when re-entering. There is a HTML widget by InfoSemantics that can solve this as well.

There are also some problems with executing an On Enter action of the slide when doing this with micronavigation, which worked perfectly in previous versions. My Replay slide blog post is an example. That post was written for CP8 where it worked perfectly also in HTML output, not anymore in CP2017.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. Thank you for the explanation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, I'm explaining on this forums since 10 years....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO MUCH! I was able to get workaround 1 to work like a charm.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Lilybiri LATEST
May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group