Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Technical help: results slide not displaying at all

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a captivate quiz that I've created from scratch as a prototype for a larger project I'm working on. I use advanced actions and variables to track quiz results - I'm tracking overall quiz results and the results for separate sections. On the results page the learner will receive an overall score as well as feedback and results on the individual section performance.

On enter the results slide executes a complex advanced action, with 9 decisions, each of which uses the conditional tab. This basically tells it to change the state of certain results based on the scores tracked for the individual sections using advanced actions. On the results slide I also have 2 buttons: exit, which just exits the course, and print, which executes JavaScript to "window.print()"

I tested the course using preview > project and everything worked exactly as expected. Not a single thing went wrong. But because you have to test HTML5 in browser to test the JavaScript I then tested the project using preview > HTML5 in Browser.

That's where things got funny. Everything worked exactly as expected until I got to the results slide.... which just didn't show up. 100% blank. Just a white screen. The project played - the play-bar advanced to the end, but the slide just appeared as totally white.

I checked the HTML5 tracker in the project and there's nothing there. I tested in SCORM CLOUD and the results report correctly, but the same thing happened - a white, blank results page. Nothing showed up. I tried removing the JS print button and I had the same results. I checked the debug logs in SCORM CLOUD (here's a link to the log) and... I'll admit, I'm not expert at reading these. There are only 2 items that show up in red at the very bottom, but I'm not sure that means anything went wrong.

I'm completely stumped. I have no idea why the results slide would show up in Preview > Project but not in the browser or SCORM CLOUD. Thoughts/Recommendations?

Thanks!

Aly

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Update: The slide was corrupt somehow. I created a new slide and rebuilt the results slide and the advanced action and it works correctly in all mediums now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please tell which version you are using (full number as found under Help, About Captivate)?

Is it possible to post a Preview of the 'complicated' advanced action triggered On Enter of the Score slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - sure

I'm using version 11.5.0.476

The advanced action has 9 decisions. Decisions 1 - 8 are for the variables for the sections. There are 2 sections in the prototype, each with 4 questions and a total possible score of 4 for each section, with an overall total number of points of 8, with 6 or greater being the overall passing score.

Decision 1 is

If ScoreA = 4, change the state of xyz to A

Decision 2 is

If ScoreA = 3, change the state of xyz to B

Decision 3 is

If ScoreA = 2, change the state of xyz to C

Decision 4 is

If ScoreA lesser than or equal to 1, change the state of xyz to D

Decisions 5, 6, 7, and 8 are exactly the same, but for ScoreB.

The final decision is for the final score.

If QuizScore is greater than or equal to 6, change the state of xyz to passed

else, change the state of xyz to failed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't know how to show a Preview?

Advanced Actions Dialog box in Captivate 2017/2019 - Captivate blog

Which theme are you using. Score slide is based on the results master slide. Did you delete or edit anything on that score slide? All objects are embedded, and just deleting them could cripple the functionality. The Continue button is the most important embedded object. Is it still there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware of how to use the advanced actions preview in Captivate. I don't see how that helps you since I included the information above already.

As I mentioned in my post this is a quiz I built from scratch as a prototype. I did not change the theme from the default, and since it's built from scratch the entire quiz is custom - I'm not using any default templates or layouts. I'm not using the default results slide, nor have I had to use it in the past when building quizzes from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't use the Score slide, which can be used with custom quiz slides, how can I see the setup of that score slide? Since it remains blank, something is wrong with that slide.

Default theme? Which one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the slides are blank slides. The score slide is blank slide. It has objects on it, some with states, and upon enter executes an advanced action, which I've described above. It has 2 buttons, Exit and Print, which I've described above. I'm not sure what more you're looking for with regards to that slide?

Everything works exactly as intended when I use Preview > Project

It also works exactly as intended when I export it as an EXE

When I say it works exactly as intended I mean all the slides work perfectly - including the results slide, which displays the correct information. See image below.

sample1_CP.png

When previewed as HTML5 in browser, or when published as SCORM and tested in SCORM CLOUD, everything works perfectly except that slide, which displays as absolutely blank. White. Not even a single object - including the ones that have no actions applied. See image(s) below.

sample2_HTML5.png

sample2_SCRMCLD.png

So I'm less inclined to believe there's something wrong with that slide with regards to the physical layout of it, the objects on the slide, their states, the theme, or the master slide, and more inclined to believe it has something to do with the HTML5 on that slide. But as I mentioned above the HTML5 Tracker is empty - it's not showing any issues, and all the data reports correctly to SCORM CLOUD, it just shows up as blank.

I tried removing the "print" button, thinking perhaps the JS was messing with the advanced action, but that didn't change anything, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this is not a responsive project, all Preview methods except F11, Preview HTML5 in Browser do use a temporary SWF, which is not a good indicator for future HTML5 output. EXE is also SWF-based. The fact that the results slide doesn't show in the situations you describe means there is a big HTML5 problem.  When you say 'worked perfectly' you only talk about SWF output from the description.

Which browser did you use for testing? Did you try several browsers?

I don't see how the numbers are calculated.  Are you using only user variables or also system variables?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update: The slide was corrupt somehow. I created a new slide and rebuilt the results slide and the advanced action and it works correctly in all mediums now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources