Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Captions disappearing after the project is closed

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use Captivate 2019. I've started creating some eLearnig modules (I'm a newbe) but experience a strange behaviour of text captions; I add them to my slides, all is OK, I then save and close the project. When I open it again, all text captions 'disappear'. They don't disappear entirely, just become inactive/invisible on the slide. I have to click on EVERY text instance to 'bring it back to life'. Nothing, but clicking on each text line, seems to work. Can you help me please (screengrab enclosed)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check the full version number, please? Look under Help, About Captivate. You may be on a non-updated version, because I have seen this same question before, not on the most recent versions however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've just installed the updates, the version I now have is 11.5.1.499.  It has NOT fixed my problem. (I opened my project, clicked on all text entries, saved and closed it. The text is not there when I open it again).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you clean the preferences when installing the patch? Close Captivate, find the folder 'utils' under the installation folder and run the CleanPreferences....file which fits your OS. You need admin rights. Make sure to update your theme for the project to the new version.

Which font are you using for the text? For HTML output, use only fonts from the websafe or the Adobe fonts category in Captivate. Have a look at this blog:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/fonts-in-captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the font we all use is Knowledge, however some quiz questions were in Trebuchet - and all keep disappearing.

I've rung the CleanPreferences as per you instructions. The issue still remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Knowledge font? Trebuchet is a websafe font.

Wonder which Theme you are using? Is that a theme created for this version of Captivate, or is this an older theme?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering whether the 'disappearances' might actually be that the objects are buried too far down in the layer order.

Try selecting the timeline layer of one of these text objects that you cannot see on screen and then drag it right up to the top of the layer order.  Do you see it then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, The example I sent earlier was ever so simple - an objective slide. All it contais is one image and a few text captions - it can't be any plainer than that (so the issue is definitely not related to buried down objects).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please remember that you, by your own admission, are a 'newbie'.  There are lots of little wrinkles in this application that you still don't know about.

I suggested you try something as a test to see if your 'issue' was resolved by that test.  Did you attempt what I suggested or just assume it couldn't possibly work?

There are several other suggestions I would like to offer, but first I want to rule out some of the easier fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

I did assume it couldn't possibly work, I'm sorry.

I have now tested the Objectives slide - moved the text captions to the top of the slide, saved, closed.

The text isn't there when I open it.

Please suggest another option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Then my next suggestion is to create a new blank project file of the same type and dimensions (non-responsive, height and width in pixels) and try copying the slides over to that new project.  If the issue is that your current project has become corrupted, then copying the slides over may remove the corruption and reset the object identifiers.

Try that and let me know.

Another idea I had was related to your reference to the fact that you have an unusual font (Knowledge).  You could also try selecting some of the text that is in this font and change it to something very standard such as Arial to see if the text then appears again.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copying into a new project worked!!!

Thank you so much.

It seems that the 'project template' I was sent as my starting point got corrupted!

I'm ever so grateful for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok.  That's good to hear.

However, if this occurs more often, you may have some issues either with the workflow you are using or the location where your files are being stored.

Are you by any chance opening your CPTX files directly from a LAN server location rather than from your computer hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources