Highlighted

Text Entry Box and Click Box on Same Slide

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all;

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I am doing a software simulation in training mode because there's interaction I want the user to do, and on one slide I have a text entry box and a click box. But what I need is for the click box not to be active until the user types the text correctly. At the moment everything works, but if the user were just to click Next without typing it would go to the next slide. I need them first to type correctly into the text entry box (and the failure/success to show based on what they type) before they can click next. Is this possible? I think it may be some kind of advanced action, but I'm newish to Captivate and don't really know how to do that.

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 6.36.03 AM.png

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sam

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by RodWard | Adobe Community Professional

Use the ON SLIDE ENTER event to Disable the Click Box, and then set the ON Success event of the Text Entry Box to Enable the Click Box again.  However, I suggest that a better way of doing this would be to give the user some kind of visual clue that the button will not be enabled.  You could use a Smart Shape button with a custom Object State that shows the button greyed out.  Again you would disable the button on entering the slide but enable it when the TEB is correct.  However, instead of just using a single action, you would need to have the On Success event of the TEB execute a Standard Advanced Action that had two action line items.  One is to change the Smart Shape button state to one that looks enabled, and then the next action would enable it as well so that it now becomes clickable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Text Entry Box and Click Box on Same Slide

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all;

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I am doing a software simulation in training mode because there's interaction I want the user to do, and on one slide I have a text entry box and a click box. But what I need is for the click box not to be active until the user types the text correctly. At the moment everything works, but if the user were just to click Next without typing it would go to the next slide. I need them first to type correctly into the text entry box (and the failure/success to show based on what they type) before they can click next. Is this possible? I think it may be some kind of advanced action, but I'm newish to Captivate and don't really know how to do that.

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 6.36.03 AM.png

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sam

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by RodWard | Adobe Community Professional

Use the ON SLIDE ENTER event to Disable the Click Box, and then set the ON Success event of the Text Entry Box to Enable the Click Box again.  However, I suggest that a better way of doing this would be to give the user some kind of visual clue that the button will not be enabled.  You could use a Smart Shape button with a custom Object State that shows the button greyed out.  Again you would disable the button on entering the slide but enable it when the TEB is correct.  However, instead of just using a single action, you would need to have the On Success event of the TEB execute a Standard Advanced Action that had two action line items.  One is to change the Smart Shape button state to one that looks enabled, and then the next action would enable it as well so that it now becomes clickable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 01, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2018 2
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RodWard​ thanks so much for that...I'll give it a go and let you know how it works out!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RodWard​ - wow, the first part of your instruction was super easy, thanks so much! I think you're right, though; it would be nice if the next button didn't even look like an option until the text was correct. I am a little bit confused by what you're saying - creating the actions is a little scary since I'm really only starting out with Captivate (well I tried it last year, gave up since I didn't have a lot of time, but now my job requires that I gain a solid knowledge of the software) - but I am going to try. Thanks!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2018 0