• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

text to speech in Captivate not working.

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am trying text to speech for the first time and I have tried using vtml code to make the speech sound a tad lees crap.

However text to speech is just reading out anything I try and do so it actually reads out "comma comma" when I enter ',,', and if I put in a <vtml..... code it reads out "vtml_break level" etc etc.

I have to say that I am more than a little concerned how bad this functionality is for a non free software package.

Maybe Im doing something wrong so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What voice are you using, and can you copy and paste an example of how you are using the VTML code?

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been using Daniel and I have been using the vtml as follows:

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 18.38.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Daniel. Did he come with Captivate or was that voice installed on your system, to begin with? VTML is a propriety mark up language for Neospeech voices and won't work with other text to speech voices. For example, I also have Microsoft Zira which came with Windows 10. VTML won't work with that voice. Only the voices from Neospeech.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Paul, I dpnt suppose you know which names belong to that Neospeech voice group?

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. They are...

• Bridget (English)
  • Chloe (French)
  • James (English)
  • Julie (English)
  • Kate (English)
  • Paul (English)
  • Yumi (Korean)
Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Paul, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking for an answer to the same problem. I use "Paul" from Neospeech, and it still reads out the VTML code for certain situations.  The vtml_pause always seems to work well.  However, I wanted to use the vtml_partofsp for the word, "separate". while the code used the correct form when specified, "Paul" read the code as well. Here's the code:

There are four <vtml_pause time="100"/> new versions of the advance letter for Condition 3 cases. You need to keep these <vtml_partofsp="modifier"> separate </vtml_partofsp> from your Condition 1 or 2 materials.

Do only some of the vtml tas work for certain voices?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running into the same situation. Using Kate voice, the pause, break and part-of-speech vtml work fine, but speed does not. Instead, the vtml code is read aloud as text. Any solution to this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a thread from 2020. Can you please specify exactly which version you are using now? You find the full version number under Help, About Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources