Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

the best way to branch in Scorm Project

Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm currently working on an e-learning that must be delivered in 1 .sco file (Scorm 1.2) to the client. My problem is I need branching. Something quite simple but it's not possible to achieve with the scorm packager it seems. 

the idea is, I have 1 parent file and at a certain point the trainee will chose either scenario 1 or scenario 2. Those scenarios are capitvate files that are exported to Scorm. 

So usualy (without Scorm) I would just make a relative link to the index file of the dependant file in the parent file, but... it doesn't seem to work. 

And one more imprtant thing to notice is that the complete, not complete criteria should be attached to the scenarios and not the parent file.the scenarios alos contain testing, with results that should be reported back to the LMS.

Help please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are trying to do is essentially bypass having the LMS launch each SCO module, which is what the SCORM standard says should happen.  Under the standard, each SCO is not allowed to directly call another SCO.  The SCO gets launched when the learner clicks a link in the LMS, the learner completes the SCO, the LMS captures the completion and scoring data, and then that SCO shuts down (terminates).  Either the learner will click another link to launch the next SCO, or if the SCORM package specifies sequencing rules, then the LMS can determine which SCO should be launched next.  (However, sequencing rules are more related to SCORM 2004 and you are only using SCORM 1.2.)

So the limitation is not really with the SCORM Packager.  You're just trying to do something that would be breaking the SCORM standard.  It's designed to work that way for a reason.  If you don't allow the LMS to do its job then the scoring data may not be captured correctly, etc.

Each separate SCO is allowed to report its own completion and quiz scoring to the LMS. But if that SCO is part of a multi-SCO course, the final result for the course should be a 'rollup' of all scores.  Again, that's something you want the LMS to handle.  So, you need to use the SCORM standard as it was designed to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I understand what you're saying and thank you for your answer. So I guess I better use branching inside 1 file, which leaves me with the task to build a custom playbar. Would that work with Scorm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Custom navigation and turn on Branch Aware in Quiz settings (which will break the default navigation by playbar/TOC anyway). In that case only the taken questions will be scored and reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are intending to use a lot of branching then the normal Captivate playbar is unlikely to be what you want because it is more intended for a linear course rather than one that jumps around a lot. If you build custom navigation, and all of the content is inside a single SCO module, then you have a lot more freedom. But the downside is that each SCO can only deliver a single score to the LMS. So, you won't be able to get scoring broken down into separate sub-modules if they are all really just one SCO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well my branching is quite easy and when 1 scenario is completed trainees don't have to complete the 2nd one. All the trouble with a custom playbar isn't that important to me, but the branching option I need for the score is requestingit from me, and I have to comply. I'm just sorry I seem to never know enough just to complete my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is fine when Branch aware is checked. Only the score of the visited scenario will be transferred to the LMS. I will answer for navigation to your original question. In the threaded replies, it is impossible to add links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you as developer defining which scenario has to be done or does the learner have the choice? In the latter case create a slide acting as a dashboard with two buttons: one for each scenario, which will use the command 'Jump to' and navigate to the first slide of that scenario.

Keep each scenario in a liniear sequece. You can use a shape button 'Next' on the first slide of the scenario, which you time for the rest of the project and having the default command 'Go to Next Slide'. Do you need Back navigation? On the first quiz slide, hide the Next button. After the quiz, score slide use the Quiz actons to navigate to an end slide. Same workflow for the other scenario. 

Have a look at this example of Branch Aware course:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2018/09/what-is-branch-aware/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yes thanks its what I'm going to do. With one "dashboard" and just 'go to ...' and 'jump to ...' commands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources