Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Time based captivate TOC

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

I would like the to use the standard TOC to navigate to a certain point of time within a slide - slide 1 @ 05:32mins, for example. Is this possible?
For instance, with the new interactive video feature, I find the duration of my 'slides' getting longer and the amount shorter. It is now becoming more important ant to navigate to a specific point whiten a slide. It would also be nice to keep my custom skinned TOCs.

Many thanks in advance,
Harry Rose

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

I have to disappoint you, the default TOC can only navigate to slides, no way to navigate to frames (which I label as micro-navigation).

However, maybe you can find inspiration for better navigation on  interactive video slides in these two blog posts;

Custom Play/Pause button - version CP2019 - Captivate blog

4 Tips for Interactive Video - Captivate blog

The last one has an explanation about creating a button on the interactive video which acts as a small TOC to navigate to bookmarks. I posted th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to disappoint you, the default TOC can only navigate to slides, no way to navigate to frames (which I label as micro-navigation).

However, maybe you can find inspiration for better navigation on  interactive video slides in these two blog posts;

Custom Play/Pause button - version CP2019 - Captivate blog

4 Tips for Interactive Video - Captivate blog

The last one has an explanation about creating a button on the interactive video which acts as a small TOC to navigate to bookmarks. I posted the first blog as well, because it has links to an example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for this. I haven't seen it yet but will be sure to check it out. A 'TOC time reference' feature in a future release would be super.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, log a feature request. I left open how this navigation could be enabled, either with something like what I created on the interactive video, or as a sub level to the slides in the default TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Lilybiri. I will do and I'll be sure to see the video you linked into your previous answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No videos, just couple of blog posts. One of them has links to interactive video (new in CP2019). I am not a lover of pure video because it is a passive asset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is in fact about jumping to a point in a Slide Video / Interactive Video, you could insert a dummy slide with no content and a 'Jump to Bookmark' action on slide enter (the Bookmark obviously being the point in the Video you'd want to navigate to). That slide would appear in the TOC as selectable item, which would reroute to the bookmark when selected. Just make sure there's no way to navigate to this slide from within other slides.

If it's a normal (non-video) slide with a longer duration, something similar should be possible by putting an advanced action on slide enter of the reroute slide with a command to jump to fame x (assign cpCmndGoToFrameAndResume with target frame no).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see my solution without those extra slides? It is very easy to set up a menu button which allows to jump to all bookmarks.  Was my first feature request for interactive video but didn't make it in this release.

For micro-navigation, have a look at:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/micro-navigation-introduction

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and that makes perfect sense.

However, Harry asked how this could be achieved using the standard built-in TOC functionality, if I got him right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's correct! And thanks for your original answer too. This also came to mind moments later, which was a 'palm to face moment' for me. I will be sure to try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct. I offered an alternative, not the exact answer to his question. Having as many dummy slides as you have bookmarks to offer for navigation looks rather cumbersome to manage  Did you try it out? For a few bookmarks will be fine, but what in a project with many interactive video and each having lot of bookmarks?.

Same with normal slides and micro-navigation, in that case I would prefer largely to distribute the content over multiple slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources