• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Time on Report

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Captivate, and I can't seem to find a way to track the time that the participant has been on the course or quiz. Does anyone have a solution, or can they point me somewhere to help me find a solution? The timer widgets are swf files and are not a feasible solution.
Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use the functionality that you can usually find in your LMS. Typically this might be called a completion report, which would report on which users have completed a course versus not. Usually, the time spent in the eLearning is included in such a report as well. Check with your LMS vendor if they have such a report by default or if they can create a custom report for you. This information is part of the standard information that SCORM reports to an LMS.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Paul. We do have that functionality on  our LMS. However, I also need to set someting up for students that are not enrolled on a LMS course. I was hoping that there would be a way to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timer interaction works perfectly iin HTML5 output, have used it multiple times for clients. Whoever told you it is not working gave you wrong information.

Often I combine it with tracking the time using system variables. More information in:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/display-time-cp2019

You will have to find a solution to get access to the value of the variables, whether the learner has access to a LMS or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Lily. I don't know how I missed this.
I looked over your blog. It's the "real time" that I need, and if I read it correctly, was done by a timer widget.
"The real time is visible at the bottom, next to my name. I used the Timer widget for the real time." As of now, the timer widgets are swf files, (I checked with Adobe support to confirm this.), so that won't work. I'm anxious to see Captivate update.

Thank you for all your blogs and tutorials. You are, indeed, a wealth of knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is now a Timer (and Hourglass) interaction. Both are compatible with HTML5 output. 

I have a new blog about showing time with a HTML output example:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/display-time-cp2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both are swf files and are currently compatible with HTML5 output, but won't be for much longer. I'll just wait.  Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you say they'll no longer be compatible? I have used them for clients in multiple situations for about 3 years, all playing in HTML5 output and in browsers which don't have Flash Player plugin (like Edge, which never supported SWF output). 

I also used the timing system variables to show time in that post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do think the timing system variables will work, and I will look into it some more. But Edge does currently support Flash swf files. However, it will no longer do so at the end of 2020: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4532571/microsoft-edge-turn-on-flash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't turn on Flash player, not in Chrome, nor in Edge. All interactions work in those browsers. The older 'widgets' do not work. My old post was about such an older Timer widget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are importing into Captivate when you add the Timer interaction is an SWF file but in the published version this widget is converted to a combination of HTML and Javascript (HTML5). There is no SWF in the final version. You are safe to use it. The Adobe Call Centre are probably told that there should be no SWF in current eLearning and they would be right, but this situation would be the exception.
Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahhhh, okay.
Much appreciation to both of you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources