• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timing in software simulations

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 questions which are both related to timing. I think I should be able to sort both of these by editing the timeline but I can't work out how:

1. If the learner clicks in the wrong place, the simulation doesn't give them time to then click on the correct place, instead it just moves on to the next slide. Is it possible to have it wait until the learner clicks the correct box boefore moving on?
  2. When the learner clicks on the correct place, the Success message shows fine but then there is a big wait before the simulation moves to the next slide. Is it possible to reduce this time?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It helps if you mention the exact version you are using (Help, About Captivate shows the full number) and the OS.

If you point to the default software simulations this is what is happening normally:

• On each slide you have a click box or a Text Entry Box. You are referring to slides with a click box.
  • The click box has its pausing point at the end of the slide, which means that what you tell about the Success message leading to a big wait is not normal.
  • Number of attempts is set to Infinite, which means that a failed attempt would never cause a movement to the next slide, since the Last Attempt event is not available.

It seems that the default setup has been modified. To see exactly what has been 'messed' up, can you please insert screenshots of:

1. Timeline panel for a slide
  2. Actions tab of the click box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - your comment about the infinite number of attempts led me to investigate different options and I now have it working as we want. I was looking in the wrong place before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explain, please. Where are the sceenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Captivate and I changed so many settings in my attempt to sort things out that I can't tell you exactly what fixed the issues. But I do know I changed the highlighted settings in the clickbox properties to be as shown.

Using Captivate 2019 11.5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although committing failures and finding a solution is one of the best ways of learning, this seems not to have been the case.

Please insert screenshots. If you attach them, I need to download to my system, open in a graphics application (mine associated with PNG is PS), screen the image, then delete it again. Moreover the click.png image seems to be corrupt, I couldn't download it.

For the Timeline: I see that you reduced the slide duration to less than 1 second. Please leave it at the default 3 seconds. There is no reeason whatsoever to reduce that duration.

Have no idea about the Click Properties which are even more important due to the issues you mentioned. Impossible to download that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

click box.png

timeline.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Besides resetting the default duration, you need to check again the option 'Pause for Success/Failure' captions.  I see that you don't want a Success caption, but you have a Failure caption. 

Timing for the feedback messages is set by default to 3 seconds as well. You can edit the timing in the Timing Properties of the message. 

I never keep the Infinite attempts for a software simulation but reduce it to 2 or 3. It is too frustrating for the learner to not be able to proceed until the right spot has been clicked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources