Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Typekit not inserting font into projects

Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am on a quest to try and get a range of fonts working across a range of devices and outside our workplaces SOE. For our project we are using various shades of the Roboto font, something which is happily contained in both google fonts and typekit. At the moment we are have a JS injection onto the first page of the project to input the google code for the font. While this is semi-functional, it means that if the user leaves the course and returns later they miss the injection on the subsequent entries and as such the font defaults.

As is expected we are wanting to make it so that it doesn't matter if it is the first time or the fifth time entering the course, you will get the same experience regardless. While captivate doesn't allow out of the box for custom header font I have been looking at the potential of typekit.

Once I managed to get the typekit version of Roboto active within captivate (deleting the local version of Roboto and syncing the typekit files) I was able to load up some of the courses and checked that it had switched to recognising the typekit font. A quick project preview allowed me to enter the typekit domains on the publish screen... and so I thought I was off.

There seems to be some other error going on though. The newly published versions are behaving differently on both chrome and IE. Chrome shows roboto (although not the correct style), while IE rolls back to Times New Roman. I felt that this was strange as the header code pulling in the roboto fonts from google was still present on the splash page (so even if typekit wasn't linking correctly it still should be picking up the font when viewed through the splash.)

When continuing the course from the LMS (so that I missed the splash page and as such avoided adding the google code in) there was no change to the above behaviour; Chrome showed Roboto light for everything and IE showed TNR.

Further exploring this strange behaviour I searched for Roboto in the source and found nothing, going deeper I noticed the following:

In each of the spans containing text the font-family is blank. This is strange and suggests that the general roll-back font for IE is TNR and Chrome is Roboto. When publishing without using typekit the code appears as such:

Notice that in this case the font family is correctly populated with Roboto light.

So the question for anyone or adobe reps would be why isn't typekit either adding in a font-family to the text elements or showing the correct fonts locally or on an LMS, and what can be done to make either typekit or google fonts work in a more reliable fashion?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?