Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to preview or publish my Captivate 2019 projects

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I was so excited to create my first project in Captivate 2019 which is so amazing comparing with Captivate 9 which I have worked with a lot in the past.

I am unable to preview or publish my Captivate 2019 responsive and non-responsive projects. I am receiving this error:

Sorry, the website www.html5temp736033715965publish.com cannot be found

I would appreciate any help.

TOPICS
Editing , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Double numbering can be very confusing, you are using CP2019 which is version 11 and you installed the patch, that is why the version number is 11.0.1.

Not sure what the problem is, can just ask some questions to answer or check:

• Did you publish to SWF or to HTML? Please don't publish to both in one action. If you don't understand my question, post a screenshot of the Publishing dialog box you used. Or of the resulting folder.
  • Can you check the path 'Publish at....' in Preferencers, General setting

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you first check the version number? It should be 11.0.1.266.

I don't recognize the URL you show in the error. Are you on Windows or Mac? To preview a responsive project a temporary HTML folder is created and shown iin your localhost directory. Here is one example:

http://localhost:51403/preview/HTML5Temp66882572253Pre/index.html

Same for a non-responsive project if using F11 (Preview HTML5 in Browser). The other preview methods use a temporary SWF.

Did you create the project from scratch or is it an updated porject?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for replying.

I couldn't understand to what program this version number should belong: 11.0.1.266

I am working on a Windows and I created the project from scratch. It starts publishing and says successful. A folder has been created on my computer in which I try to publish the file. There are a lot of files in it. Which one is the final product to open? Also, when it is asking me if I want to review it and I say yes, It gets me to a page with the link I provided before.

I changed my default browser to Firefox and now it is asking me to install Adobe Flash which I've already installed.

Do you think it's my old laptop with windows 7 on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double numbering can be very confusing, you are using CP2019 which is version 11 and you installed the patch, that is why the version number is 11.0.1.

Not sure what the problem is, can just ask some questions to answer or check:

• Did you publish to SWF or to HTML? Please don't publish to both in one action. If you don't understand my question, post a screenshot of the Publishing dialog box you used. Or of the resulting folder.
  • Can you check the path 'Publish at....' in Preferencers, General settings? What is that path please?
  • Publishing will always result in a folder. For HTML output, the best way to test the output is to upload that folder to a webserver or to a LMS (ineeded if you have turned reporting on). That folder has everything which is needed. HTML output is launched the same way as a website, with the index.html file. That file will call everything what is needed for the course like objects, styles, interactions.

If you used Typekit fonts, you have to add Localhost to the domain allowed to use the fonts for local viewing. However not all courses wil display well locally, but will probably on a webserver.

Forgot: I am typing this on my old desktop which runs Win7. Captivate works fine, just bit slower than on my other systems which are more recent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

It worked! As you mentioned on your first question, it seems I was publishing both SWF and HTML5 at the same time. When I paid attention and choose only HTML, it worked.

Appreciate all of your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy fix, we are both happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac trying to publish to HTML 5, and when I launch it, it doesn't load.  I'm using the Chrome Browser, when I inspect the HTML code. it doesn't show the HTML5 code for the course, just the loading gif animation.   I followed your steps and nothing works.  Where is the patch you mentioned?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread went off in a publishing direction. I am wondering if there is a fix for PREVIEWing?

Its the same problem http://html5temp103761204850765pre/rindex.html trying to load and not working but this time it's in version 11.5.1.499

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once in a while had that issue as well, but restarting CP and eventually my system always solved it. Did ytou try that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No but I'll do it now. I did also try the PUBLISH the project doesnt have the little green handle to play with the width in the browser. (and I made sure it was only to HTML)....

[EDIT] sicne the cptx file IS from a project I started a new responsive project and moved my simulation slides over to it.

I am now totally closing out Captivate and restarting it...

And...browse.. to open the less slided responsive project...

Yup that looks like it did it. And even though it doesn't have the green slider to play with the width, in Chrome, it works just fine if you shrink it by the browsers edge.

Hoo and Ray!  Lilybiri as always, is the Godess of Captivate, whom we should all bow to (cuz its not like the CaptivateHelp@adobe.com does any good!) 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem with previewing & publishing my Captviate 2019 responsive project. For a few hours, I worked on some JavaScript, previewed, tweaked the JavaScript, and repreated all that. Then, preview stopped working. Here's what I see when I try to preview:

Captivate-hangs.jpg

Here are some details about my system:

• Captivate 2019 Version 11.5.1.499
  • One of the URLs that stopped working is in the picture above. Another is:  http://localhost:61647/preview/HTML5Temp1833229787343Pre/rindex.html
  • Windows 10 Pro Version 1909
  • Microsoft Surface 8 Gig RAM

Here's what I tried to fix the problem:

• Checked for Captivate updates
  • Restarted Captivate 4 times
  • Restarted my laptop 3 times
  • Tried Chrome, Edge, & FireFox
  • Emptied the cache for Captivate and all the browsers
  • Swore a few times, don't tell Mom

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Lilybiri explained in one of the earlier posts on this thread, the URLs you are showing are actually temporary web server environments that Captivate creates when you use the Preview option to Publish HTML5 to Browser.   Captivate's HTML5 output really needs to be displayed in a web server environment in order to guarantee that everything works as expected.

The number following the localhost: designation is the temporary port number.  But after you have closed the browser window or rebooted Captivate that URL will no longer be valid.  You'll see a different port number after localhost each time you reboot Captivate and republish the same project again.

There's also probably a time out period on that temporary environment.  So you just need to keep publishing again to get everything working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

I also found something else that solved my problem. I used JavaScript to set the contents of variables in Captivate, such as

window._feedback="Correct, and here's more feedback...";

(Note the double quotes above)

My problem came from using this technique in Javascript:

window._feedback='Correct, and here\'s more feedback...';

(Note the outer single quotes and the \' to get an apostrophe, which is common in non-Captivate JavaScript.)

The \' turned out to be the problem. When I added that to any variable assignment, the problem described above occurred. When I took it out, the problem went away.

Moral of the story: Use double-quotes in JavaScript when working with Captivate varibles.

Let me know if you have other thoughts or other 'morals to the story.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources