I was so excited to create my first project in Captivate 2019 which is so amazing comparing with Captivate 9 which I have worked with a lot in the past.
I am unable to preview or publish my Captivate 2019 responsive and non-responsive projects. I am receiving this error:
I would appreciate any help.
Can you first check the version number? It should be 22.214.171.1246.
I don't recognize the URL you show in the error. Are you on Windows or Mac? To preview a responsive project a temporary HTML folder is created and shown iin your localhost directory. Here is one example:
Same for a non-responsive project if using F11 (Preview HTML5 in Browser). The other preview methods use a temporary SWF.
Did you create the project from scratch or is it an updated porject?
Thank you so much for replying.
I couldn't understand to what program this version number should belong: 126.96.36.1996
I am working on a Windows and I created the project from scratch. It starts publishing and says successful. A folder has been created on my computer in which I try to publish the file. There are a lot of files in it. Which one is the final product to open? Also, when it is asking me if I want to review it and I say yes, It gets me to a page with the link I provided before.
I changed my default browser to Firefox and now it is asking me to install Adobe Flash which I've already installed.
Do you think it's my old laptop with windows 7 on it?
Double numbering can be very confusing, you are using CP2019 which is version 11 and you installed the patch, that is why the version number is 11.0.1.
Not sure what the problem is, can just ask some questions to answer or check:
If you used Typekit fonts, you have to add Localhost to the domain allowed to use the fonts for local viewing. However not all courses wil display well locally, but will probably on a webserver.
Forgot: I am typing this on my old desktop which runs Win7. Captivate works fine, just bit slower than on my other systems which are more recent.
Thank you so much!
It worked! As you mentioned on your first question, it seems I was publishing both SWF and HTML5 at the same time. When I paid attention and choose only HTML, it worked.
Appreciate all of your help.
Easy fix, we are both happy.
I'm on a Mac trying to publish to HTML 5, and when I launch it, it doesn't load. I'm using the Chrome Browser, when I inspect the HTML code. it doesn't show the HTML5 code for the course, just the loading gif animation. I followed your steps and nothing works. Where is the patch you mentioned?
This thread went off in a publishing direction. I am wondering if there is a fix for PREVIEWing?
Its the same problem http://html5temp103761204850765pre/rindex.html trying to load and not working but this time it's in version 188.8.131.529
Once in a while had that issue as well, but restarting CP and eventually my system always solved it. Did ytou try that?
No but I'll do it now. I did also try the PUBLISH the project doesnt have the little green handle to play with the width in the browser. (and I made sure it was only to HTML)....
[EDIT] sicne the cptx file IS from a project I started a new responsive project and moved my simulation slides over to it.
I am now totally closing out Captivate and restarting it...
And...browse.. to open the less slided responsive project...
Yup that looks like it did it. And even though it doesn't have the green slider to play with the width, in Chrome, it works just fine if you shrink it by the browsers edge.
Here are some details about my system:
Here's what I tried to fix the problem:
Let me know if you need any more info.
Thanks in advance,
As Lilybiri explained in one of the earlier posts on this thread, the URLs you are showing are actually temporary web server environments that Captivate creates when you use the Preview option to Publish HTML5 to Browser. Captivate's HTML5 output really needs to be displayed in a web server environment in order to guarantee that everything works as expected.
The number following the localhost: designation is the temporary port number. But after you have closed the browser window or rebooted Captivate that URL will no longer be valid. You'll see a different port number after localhost each time you reboot Captivate and republish the same project again.
There's also probably a time out period on that temporary environment. So you just need to keep publishing again to get everything working again.
window._feedback="Correct, and here's more feedback...";
(Note the double quotes above)
window._feedback='Correct, and here\'s more feedback...';
The \' turned out to be the problem. When I added that to any variable assignment, the problem described above occurred. When I took it out, the problem went away.
Let me know if you have other thoughts or other 'morals to the story.'