• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to publish or preview project in any browser

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Captivate 11.5.4.613 on Mac OS 10.5.1 and it was working OK but suddently after making minor changes to the publishing settings, I am unable to a) preview in the browser and b) publish anything that works. I either get a spinning ball in the browser window or I get the -50 error 'The application can't be opened.' I am trying to preview/publish in HTML5. 

I have tried:
  • resetting the default publish settings but it doesn't change anything.
  • restarting the software.
  • restarting the computer.
  • Chrome, Safari, and Brave browsers. 

I have no idea what to do next. I've spent many hours and days on this project (30 pages worth) and I'm so frustrated! Help?

TOPICS
Advanced , Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say you reset the default publishing settings, do you mean you used the CleanPreferencesMac file in the Utils folder in the Captivate install directory?

Have you tried creating a new CPTX file with just a few slides to see if all project files are affected or just the one you are currently working on?   If only this one file is affected, perhaps the project has become corrupted.  One way to strip out corruption is to copy the current slides over to a new blank Captivate CPTX file with the same dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for quick response. I just mean the publish project settings within Captivate. I didn't dig into the Utils folder or anything. I tried opening an earlier version of the project (that had been working fine) and it has the same issue. I will test by creating new file now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Creating a new file does not work to preview. I tried purging the cache (via Captivate preferences) also. Is there a file in the application directory that might need purging or something? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK then if even a new blank project will not publish, the most likely issue is that you need to reset the Preferences for the Captivate application.  This is a common issue and that's why Adobe has provided a special file inside the Captivate install directory.  There's a folder in there called Utils and inside that folder there are two files, one for MacOS and one for Windows users.  

You need to have Admin access to your PC in order to do this, but if you close down Captivate and then navigate to that folder and double click the CleanPreferencesMac file it should execute the process to reset your Preferences.  When you start Captivate again it should have the default Preferences set up.

If you do not have admin access to your computer, find the IT person that does and get them to do it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I tried running the preference cleaner file as you suggest and it did not work. I also re-installed Captivate. I'm still getting the -50 error when I try to preview HTML in browser (also seems like it's hanging up along the way because it takes a couple minutes to generate the error) and publish project results in a html file that has a spinning loader icon that never resolves. This is on a MacBook Pro running Catalina. Not sure if that matters....it had been working fine until I clicked some buttons in Captivate preference pane.  I will try on a different installation on older Mac I guess.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same issue, and Paul's fix CleanPreferencesMac file  worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where can I find this file and how can I fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yo trabajo desde una iMac y la ruta es asi:
Finder -> Aplicaciones -> Adobe Captivate -> utils -> CleanPreferencesMac
Nota: recuerda que para los equipos de Windows nececitas ejecutar el que se llama CleanPreferencesWin.bat, y debes tener Captivate cerrado y hacer el proceso desde el administrador como lo dice RodWard en el comentario. 
Espero te sea de utilidad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on PC and I have the same issue. I can't view it on any other browsers except IE; I’m not sure why! anyone can help please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources