• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upscaling Issues with HTML5 Output

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've been working with Captivate for about a year now... just got a new laptop with a 1080p screen, and all of a sudden problems were constant with my scalable HTML5 output (flashing between slides, some objects disappearing completely, etc.). The solution, though, is as simple as resizing the window down to what I assume is similar to (and smaller than) the project resolution I'm working with.

I'm not super happy about it, but I don't think it will present an issue for more than a small percentage of my users... but I'm wondering what my options are. FYI - the problem appears in Google Chrome, but not in Internet Explorer, which leads me to believe it may be even be a temporary problem, if future browser updates improve Chrome's scaling.

I saw a post from 2014 asking if HTML5 output could be set to scale down, but not to scale upwards, which I think would be a robust solution, but at the time, the consensus seems to have been that it wasn't feasible: Is it possible to only allow downward HTML / flash scaling of a project?

Let me know if anyone else has run across this issue and, if so, what the possible solutions are in 2017 beyond telling users with HD screens to scale down their windows.

Also... first post here. Thanks for all the information you've all contributed! This forum has been a super helpful resource!!!

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you publish your project to HTML5, do you use the checkbox option for Scalable HTML Content?

When I select that checkbox and publish to HTML5 the output will scale either upwards or downwards according to the available size of the browser area in which it is viewed. 

The 'flashing' of which you speak may simply be the browser being forced to redraw the objects on screen when resized.  Do they appear after a short time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do check the box for scalable HTML content. Scaling down is working 100% perfectly... scaling up works well at a size roughly 10% larger in each dimension, but at some point after that the issues occur. The 3 main issues are:

- The flashing, which I believe is the redrawing you refer to. Given the format I'm using, it's very distracting.

- Some objects, particularly smart shapes, are simply not visible in the output. Then i make the window smaller and the reappear.

- This may be the same as the first issue, but often the playbar will flash in a strobe-like fashion during the lesson without stopping.

All of these problems go away when the window is, at most, slightly larger than the design dimensions... and things continue to work perfectly all the way down to a very small window size.

It's when I go a bit bigger that things go haywire in Chrome (also, in case it's important, this PC's using Windows 10 & has solid hardware stats)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Captivate 2019 and ran into a similar problem unexpectedly the other day. I had a 1280x720 project on a 1920x1080 monitor. For me, the playbar disappeared if Chrome resized to larger than 1357px. I wrote up the solution that worked for me on my blog. Hopefully some of your issues have been part of a Chrome update already!

If you're still having the same trouble, modifying the div tag with css code may be the easiest to try. I only lost my closed captions and my playbar in Chrome when I made the screen larger (scaling down was also fine for me, too), but my first solution was to just modify div in the style tag (also wrote that up).

Are there any other ways to do this out there? I will likely send it in as a bug, but maybe there's some other way to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have done this several times and it always seems to work, HTML5, SWF, Captivate and Storyline.

That post has one method, but there are several others also.

I'll look for it again as I had to update the solution for a client when new version of Captivate came out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources