Highlighted

URL opens automatically

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if there is a way to prevent a URL (that is part of a button) from opening automatically when the project plays? The point is to have the learner click on the button to visit the site at their leisure, not open automatically..

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by RodWard | Adobe Community Professional

Could you please check the On Slide Enter event of this slide to make sure you haven't perhaps also added the Open URL action to that area?  All Captivate interactivity is Event-based.  Unless something (an event) triggers an action, it cannot be invoked.  With buttons, the only way you would be triggering that Open URL action is by the user clicking the button, which you say they are not doing.  So, my working theory here would be that the Open URL action is being triggered by another event.  The fact that the browser window opens when you preview that slide would seem to support the idea that the Open URL action is also being triggered by the On Slide Enter event.  So please check whether that might be the case.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

URL opens automatically

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if there is a way to prevent a URL (that is part of a button) from opening automatically when the project plays? The point is to have the learner click on the button to visit the site at their leisure, not open automatically..

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by RodWard | Adobe Community Professional

Could you please check the On Slide Enter event of this slide to make sure you haven't perhaps also added the Open URL action to that area?  All Captivate interactivity is Event-based.  Unless something (an event) triggers an action, it cannot be invoked.  With buttons, the only way you would be triggering that Open URL action is by the user clicking the button, which you say they are not doing.  So, my working theory here would be that the Open URL action is being triggered by another event.  The fact that the browser window opens when you preview that slide would seem to support the idea that the Open URL action is also being triggered by the On Slide Enter event.  So please check whether that might be the case.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by 'URL is part of a button'? I don't understand what that it is. You can use a button to trigger the command 'Open URL', and that will do what you want.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a button in there but the URL opens automatically upon preview of the slide without the button even being clicked first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. Do you have a situation where a user clicks a button to open a URL and you want a delayed action? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a button with an action of “open url or file” BUT upon preview of the slide, the link proactively opens in a browser window before any button is even clicked. Does that make sense?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could help us by posting a screen capture of where you entered the URL so we can confirm it's being entered in the correct place i.e. in the actions tab of the properties of the button.

Paul Wilson, CTDP | https://captivateteacher.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a button with an action of “open url or file” BUT upon preview of the slide, the link proactively opens in a browser window before any button is even clicked. Does that make sense?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not normal, but I am bit puzzled by 'Preview the slide'? There is no Preview slide, only Play Slide which is NOT a preview method at all. Check Preview HTML in Browser (F11) if it is a non-responsive project, or Project if it is a responsive project.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes same thing you click preview then play slide to see how it will look when published. Not sure if I have any setting causing this to happen but before the green button is ever clicked the URL opens automatically in a separate browser window..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to tell you that Play Slide is NOT a preview method at all. You need to use a real preview method. Depending on the wanted output, the best Preview method for a non-responsive project is Preview in Browser (for SWF) or Preview HTML in Browser (for HTML5). Did you try those?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried in browser as well and same problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must have triggered the Open URL in another way as well, not only by the Success action of the button.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you RodWard that is exactly what the problem was. The slide itself had an "on enter event" action on it. I changed it to "no action" and voila! Thanks again and to all of you who replied as well. This forum has really helped me over time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group