• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

User input functionality

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks, I have a query from a proposal that was brought up in a recent client brief. They have asked that at the beginning of the module, the user be prompted to input some reasons for taking the e-learning course, (text field or similar for instance) and that those reasons be presented back to them at the end of the course, with the question of whether their personal learning objectives have been met.

I'm not aware if Captivate has this type of functionality, would anyone have a suitable solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

You have two possiblities:

1. Use a Text Entry box, not validated. Later on insert the associated variable (which is automatically created) in a text container to show the previous input. Add the question in another text container and a new Text Entry Box
  2. Use the Scrolling Text Interaction. You will need to uncheck the option 'Read only' and define a user variable separately to store the content of the interaction. Follow same workflow as described for TEB on the later slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two possiblities:

1. Use a Text Entry box, not validated. Later on insert the associated variable (which is automatically created) in a text container to show the previous input. Add the question in another text container and a new Text Entry Box
  2. Use the Scrolling Text Interaction. You will need to uncheck the option 'Read only' and define a user variable separately to store the content of the interaction. Follow same workflow as described for TEB on the later slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thank you, I'll test this out and get back to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa there!

Before you get too excited you need to find out a bit more about things like:

• How long is this 'course'?
  • Will learners be completing the course in a single sitting, or will they likely want to be able to 'bookmark' their location in the course and return to it on another day?
  • Is this course being delivered from an LMS?
  • Does the LMS have the capability to store Captivate User Variable data and then allow you to retrieve this data during a different user session?
  • Will learners be required to use the same device or computer whenever they access course modules?

All of these questions could affect whether or not you can deliver this requirement.  And there are plenty more questions where those came from once you start getting answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, maybe a little more background will help...

Each module will be estimated to take around 15mins to complete. They would be expected to do the course in one sitting, and the course will be accessed via Moodle which is the client's platform. I'm not sure if Moodle will have this capability to store data, which is one of my main reasons of query. This project is expected to only be accessed within the offices of the client, and will not have to be responsive to tablet or mobile.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solutions I proposed would work if the learner is completing the course in one session. That is what I assumed to be the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aiming to persuade them to go this route on one session if possible, if they want this type of function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have several separate SCORM modules, each of which is 15 minutes long.  The learner types this text into the first module and you want to see it displayed again in the last module.  Correct?

What you are talking about here (data persistence) requires the data to be stored somewhere outside the first module.  There are several options for how that is done:

• Store the data as a 'cookie' in the user's browser.  You'll need some JavaScript to pull this off.
  • Store the data in the LMS.  This was what Lilybiri was talking about.  But not all LMSs will automatically capture Captivate User Variable data and persist it across separate course modules.  (Very few will even persist User Variable data for retrieval in the SAME course module.)

I think you need to do some comprehensive testing with your client's Moodle platform before you promise too much here.  You may need professional programming expertise to pull off what they want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are 3 modules, but the learner will only be typing and viewing their content in each individual module. They will all be separate.

I have a background in web design and I understand the concept of where this data would be stored, I'll run it past their tech team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources