• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Users Unable to Submit Quiz Answer

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a course created that has been running correctly for a year now. The course ends in a quiz, but I am having a few users say they are unable to press the submit button. It stays greyed out even after selecting the answer. This leaves them stuck and unable to move along in the course. 

It is working for the majority of the users so I didn't want to reupload the file. But the few having trouble have restarted it many times, and used different browsers. Any tips on other things to try and help them get through it? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of question slides are these?  The Submit button on Captivate's normal quiz slides is not normally greyed out.  Have you added a Fade in or some kind of Entrance effect on these buttons?

If it is working for the majority of users then this is unlikely to be the fault of the Captivate project output.  It's more likely to be something either related to their browser version or else a latency issue of the LMS.

As a test, upload the same project SCORM to SCORM Cloud online LMS and get a couple of your users experiencing the problem to try it from there.  If they do not have any issues with the buttons when the same content is delivered from SCORM Cloud, that would tend to indicate the issue is not due to their browsers but your own LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod for the useful tip.

I have a different question, please.

I have a Sr. Manager at my company that doesn't like that he has to click the Submit button (after he selects his answer) but then also has to click anywhere on the screen to continue, or click "y" (petty, I know) but he can't click the "advance" arrow. He states if you hit the advance arrow, your next answer will be marked incorrect regardless of what you answer. 

The original author of the course remove the feedback of “click anywhere or press ‘y’ to continue” from the quiz questions, therefore creating this confusion. I have since added that back to the question feeback boxes.

Can you tell me why Captivate requires you to again after clicking the submit button? Unfortunately, I am going to have to tell him the details before he will drop the issue. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you were asking Rod, but you might want to tell him that "Click anywhere or press y to continue." is for people with disabilities that cannot use a mouse and perhaps he may drop it. Also Submit is required if you offer more than one answer to be correct. One alternative that might be appreciated is to set your quiz to Submit All, then people like your Senior Manager can jump around the quiz and answer the questions in any order they like. Once they are ready they can click Submit All to submit all the answers at once.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Paul,
I subscribed to your channel and watch it all teh time. I was searching your videos to see if I coul find an explaination on why you have to click twice, but I still don't understand it.  Here is what he actually said:

"I may have figured out the issue on the training module problem last week. I ran into the same issue in taking Audit Support Training today. Taking the quiz, once you answer the question and it tells you correct or incorrect you have to hit the submit button a second time rather than the advance arrow. If you hit the advance arrow, your next answer will be marked incorrect regardless of what your answer.  It marks you incorrect and moves to next question even before you hit the submit button."

I tried it in a test course and it seems to mess up your answer on the quiz question if you click the advance arrow before clicking anywhere on the screen or 'y'.

Does captivate require that second click to "send" the quiz question answer to the LMS? Is the first click of the submit button just to show you if you answered correctly and show you the feedback box, then the second click report it to the LMS? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I also do is change the default On Success and Last Attempt actions from Continue to Go to the next slide. It could be that the user is simply not patient enough to wait until the slide has finished playing. The Continue action plays for a second and a half before naturally moving to the next slide. This is due to question slides being 3 seconds in duration by default and pausing at the 1.5-second mark.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first click on the Submit button is to have the answer evaluated as correct or incorrect. If you have Success or Failure captions turned on, then they immediately appear.  But these feedback captions are not timed to disappear after a few seconds.  Captivate's quiz question slides don't have that option (even thought I think it would be a good enhancement to offer one day) because there is no way to be sure how long it would take the learner to read the feedback on the captions.  So, the next click is required to dismiss the feedback captions when the learner decides they are ready to continue.  Technically, that click does not need to be on any particular part of the slide. 

So, if you wanted to get rid of the second click, the only real way to do it is to turn off both Success and Failure captions and allow only one attempt on the quiz question.  Then, when the Submit button is clicked the first time, the answer will be evaluated and the slide will immediately execute the On Success and On Last Attempt actions to advance to the next slide.  But the downside then is that the learner doesn't see feedback about their answer.

Whether or not the user's result is immediately sent to the LMS or not depends on several settngs in the Quiz configuration. 

Personally, I feel that having another button on the slide that invites the learner to click it to advance to the next slide is asking for trouble.  I never have a Back or Next button on quiz slides.  Just Submit, and for certain types of questions (e.g. Hot Spot) I show the Clear button so that the learner can easily reset their answer before submitting.  I also disable backward movement in the Quiz settings (unless using Submit All).  I want the learner to progress from one question to the next and answer  them in sequence.  Unless you warn them, users are going to be unaware that clicking Next without answering the question will mean that question will get marked as incorrect.  They usually assume they can just come back to it later and answer it.  But that's not how Captivate's quizzing works. 

So, to avoid getting complaints from users about being marked wrong for questions they didn't answer, just remove the possibility that they can progress to the next question UNTIL they answer each one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, I am grateful and honored that a couple of the best Captivate experts are answering my question. Thank you for the explanation of what the second click does, etc.

A little more clarification and further update. The user replied back to my email where I told him I put the "Click anywhere or press 'y' to continue" back in the feedback boxes (for the final quiz questions). He stated that should be fine, but elsewhere in the course you are instructed to advance by the forward button after clicking the Submit button the first time. I watched and listened to the narration carefully and discovered that the vendor (that created this course) placed a quiz question slide at the end of lesson 1 instead of a Knowledge Check slide. Lesson 1 has a 'Matching' type question. This quiz slide does have the "Report Answers" box checked and there is an "Interaction ID" number. The narration tells users to select their answer, click "Submit", then click the forward button (in the navigation skin) to continue. The next slide shows an image of what the correct matching answer looks like. The user told me he followed those same instructions in the final test at the end of the course, and that is where he was getting answers marked incorrect even though he selected the correct answer. 

Therefore, I think the vendor told users to follow that incorrect process because they didn't want the knowledge check to report the score to the LMS. To fix this, I think I need to:

1. Replace Knowledge Check questions (built with a quiz slide) with a Knowledge Check slide.

2. Remove the narration where it tells users to pick their answer, click Submit, then click the forward button (in the navigation skin).

3. Make sure the feedback boxes for Knowledge Checks and quiz questions tell users to "Click anywhere or press 'y' to continue." 

4. While I am at it, change the "On Success" and "Last Attempt" to "Go to the next slide."

Does that sound like a good plan? 

To clarify something else, I was wrong when I stated the users did not want to click "Submit" twice. Actually he was saying he was following the directions that the narration gave him during the Knowledge Checks, and that resulted in getting final quiz questions marked incorrect.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that you should replace that quiz slide with a Knowledge Check slide.  If the correct answer configuration is going to be shown on the following slide, then you don't really need any feedback captions on the actual slide that has the question.  You could turn off the feedback captions and just have the On Success or On Last Attempt actions jump the learner to the next slide immediately.  They should have no need to be clicking other buttons, especially not buttons on the playbar.  In fact, I always set the option to Hide Playbar during the quiz which then removes any way for the learner to progress, other than answering the question,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried (many blogs) to explain the Submit process desing. There is a logical reason for both steps:

• Need of the Submit button: allows the learner to change her/his mind before submitting the answer. The clear button (if available) is only functional before submitting. If you change that, lot of learners will be frustrated because they inadvertently clicked an answer...
  • First step: the Submit button (embedded object) has all the functionality, even the pausing point (default is at 1.5secs) is linked to it. In this first step the feedback messages (which can also be images etc...) are shown. Pausing is required to give the learner all the time she/he needs to watch the feedback. That time will be ended by:
  • Second step: will release the playhead. After the first step the whole slide is covered with an 'invisible' interactive object, which releases the playhead when clicked. The shortcut key is Y (which cannot be changed), not only for disabled users but more people are not totally addicted to mouse clicks.  What happens when Y or click is done: the actions defined for Success and Last Attempt for the last attempt.

More details in two blog posts. First one describes the default two-step process:

Captivate's Quizzes (2): Submit Process - eLearning (adobe.com)

To help tweaking this process without messing it up:

Quiz Tweak 4: Submit Process - eLearning (adobe.com)

You can find more blogs (also for D&D question submit process which is different).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rod. thank you for the confirmation and the suggestion to hide playbar during quiz. that is a great idea. I will do that too.

Lilybiri, thank you so much for the submit process explanation and the links. That is VERY helpful. 

Thank you everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also want to ask them a series of questions including where they are accessing the course, what browser are they using and what version. Sometimes you might discover a common element between them all. For example, older browsers may not run all the latest content you can create in Adobe Captivate. Question slides haven't changed that much in recent years but you never know what you might discover.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources