Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using captivate variables to show time remaining and total for a module

Participant ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is for Adobe Captivate 2017

I have a custom control bar handling Mute, CC, Reset, Back Play and Pause.

My goal is to add a progress indicator showing the time spent on a module and the total time of the module.

Example :  01:36 / 07:40

I would think this should be as easy as droping in a built in Captivate variable but i am not seeing the variables i need.

List of variables in Adobe Captivate

I believe i should be using cpInfoElapsedTimeMS for the first part but dont know what to use for the second part to show the total module time.

Is there an expanded list of Adobe Captivate variables I am not finding?

Thank you in advance for any guidence on this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Quite a long time ago I wrote this blog post:

Display Time information - Captivate blog

I tried to explain there the big difference between the 'developer's time' and the real time spent on and needed for a module.

Which time do you want to show? The developer's time, which is in reallity only the duration of the slides as shown in the TOC? I would recommend to use the TOC in that case. If you want to show the real time spent on a module that is something totally different, and can be calculated f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite a long time ago I wrote this blog post:

Display Time information - Captivate blog

I tried to explain there the big difference between the 'developer's time' and the real time spent on and needed for a module.

Which time do you want to show? The developer's time, which is in reallity only the duration of the slides as shown in the TOC? I would recommend to use the TOC in that case. If you want to show the real time spent on a module that is something totally different, and can be calculated from the timing system variables.

The total developer's time can easily be calculated from the system varaibles cpInfoFrameCount and cpInfoFPS. Hwever there are no exposed system variables to have the value of the frames per slide, can be calculated as well but I find it much easier to show the TOC which has this built in.

Maybe a JS expert will pop in with a JS script, if you don't want to use advanced or shared actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to show the developers time.

Is there a way to extract the value showing the module total time out of the TOC?

Thank you..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a programmer can, sorry I calculate it from the system variables I indicated before. So you want the developer's time, I don't find that so relevant, since there is no link whatsoever with the real time needed for a course. Why not use the TOC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, i would like the time to display in a specific spot of the navigation bar.

Would the developer time be the total time of the training and the total training time or the total of real time?

If i am understanding correctly...

For example:

There is a module with a total of 2 minutes of training.

You complete 30 seconds of the training but get a phone call that lasts one minute.

The total time would be    00:30 / 02:00

Reason being you only completed 30 seconds of the total 2 minute training.

The time is only tracking what you spend in training not real time as it passes by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read that blog post for which I offered a link? I tried to explain the difference.

A learner can spend many minutes on a slide that is only 3 seconds long, because the slide is paused to allow to read several text bubbles maybe even with audio. The minutes are the 'real time', the 3 seconds is the developer's time which has nothing to do with the reality. If the learner leaves the course, it will remain minutes in reality he spent already, but less than 3 seconds (due to the pausing) for the developer's time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.. had to get flash updated in order to be enabled.

I would think that the top right time and % would be the most helpful for the learner to undersatand how far they have completed in training.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally i would be able to pull the bottom number out of the TOC and insert it in the custom nav bar I have right now.

If the time elapsed / total is already being displayed in the bottom of the TOC you would think it wouldnt be that hard to place somewhere else.

TOC_Capture-01.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are willing to forget about Flash SWF and move over to HTML5 you have the possibility of using the CpExra HTML5 widget and then that opens up a whole host of opportunities and extra variables that Captivate doesn't give you out of the box.

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-widgets/cpextra/help/information-variables/course-pr...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using HTML5 and have been able to do everything in Captivate with an advanced action here and there.

Unfortunately this late in the project purchasing an add-on in which training will have to be purchased is not an option.

It will be nice to have that option to propose in the next project but will need clear documentation on how the license works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Like all Infosemantics widgets, the CpExtra widget is licensed to a particular Captivate developer.  That licensed developer can use it as many times as they want in as many projects as they want, which can then be viewed by as many end users as they want.  But if another Captivate developer wants to also use the widget in their own projects, they need to purchase their own license.  That's how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources