Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using VTML commands for NeoSpeech

Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use the VTML commands to give more nuance to the Neospeech voices I use. Where should the commands be typed? I tried entering them in the Speech Management section on each slide, but the voice just reads the VTML command.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you're typing them exactly correct. Any slight deviation on spacing or formatting will make it unusable and Captivate will only read the scripting rather than use it as it should. Have you seen my tutorial on this? It's kind of old now but the steps haven't changed as much. Adobe Captivate - Text to Speech Hints and Tips - YouTube

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Paul! I'll definitely use your tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your instructions in the YouTube video and voila! It works beautifully. I too got the message about contacting sales and this editor is for demonstration only. I want to purchase this function but what exactly do I ask my purchasing department to buy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you purchase a voice from Neospeech directly it will include the Voice Text Editor as well.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have to purchase one voice to get started?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download the following pdf and it will guide you on the proper syntax for adding the vtml markup

http://media.neospeech.com/document/vt_eng-Engine-VTML-v3.9.0-3.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this pdf and am typing the commands as printed but NeoSpeech is reading and now following the commands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. There is no option to buy the software, it comes with the voices.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've contacted NeoSpeech and they not only want to know which voices I want to use, but also how many words in a year will be converted to speech, how many employees we will train, and if we are going to have external for-profit users. Sheesh, I just want to have a couple of voices for 100+ internal folks. This is getting complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using text to speech since Adobe Captivate 5.0. In all that time I've not felt a need to have a licensed version of Voice Text. I use it as I described and once I'm satisfied with how it sounds I copy and paste the commands from the Voice Text editor into my notes area of Captivate. I looked into purchasing additional voices, specifically James, however, when Adobe made this voice available in the next release of Captivate, I no longer worried about this.

You may wish to look into Amazon Polly as an alternative. Polly provides dozens and dozens of voices and the entire thing is managed in a web app. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for explaining that. I've used James as my standard voice but not used the VTML commands. Now I'll use the VTML commands as you explained. So why would I want to get a license from NeoSpeech?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well just mainly to turn off the message or to get additional voices. I found dealing with Neospeech frustrating in this regard so I've made do with just editing it using the trial of VT.

On a similar note, I've been talking with Lauren Krainski who works at Paul Allen's nonprofit AI research institute in Seattle. She gave me a demo of a new text to speech technology that knocked my socks off. If you're interested in text to speech that sounds completely real, send her an email to arrange a demo. The project will be beta tested sometime in January but it was amazing.

her email is laurenk@allenai.org

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources