Highlighted

Variable from Text Entry Box being inconsistent

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Text Entry box where users type in their name. I set it so that that variable is called "FullName."

Then, at the end of the course, I have a Completion page that says roughly: "Thanks, $$FullName$$."

When I publish and run my course on our server (not an LMS though), the variable is inconsistent--sometimes it shows up at the end, sometimes it doesn't.

Most consistently, it seems it takes two tries for it to show up, meaning: I type the name, click Enter, get to last slide and see nothing, then I rewind back, click Enter again, and then on the last slide I see it.

I've triple-checked my work and I'm pretty sure I have all of the right settings. Why might this be happening and is there a fix?

Thanks!

Inna

Community Beginner
Correct answer by innaSF | Community Beginner

Thank you, Rod. I tried that and it was still being buggy.

BUT! After all sorts of trial and error, it appears what was breaking it was that I had "Retain Text" and "Auto-Submit" checked for the Text Entry.

To me, it sounded like that would 'retain' the variable and 'auto-submit' in case the user forgot to click Enter, but I guess it was retaining the blank default text I had within the box maybe?

I can't believe it was that simple, I feel sort of silly now, but hopefully this can help some future designers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Variable from Text Entry Box being inconsistent

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Text Entry box where users type in their name. I set it so that that variable is called "FullName."

Then, at the end of the course, I have a Completion page that says roughly: "Thanks, $$FullName$$."

When I publish and run my course on our server (not an LMS though), the variable is inconsistent--sometimes it shows up at the end, sometimes it doesn't.

Most consistently, it seems it takes two tries for it to show up, meaning: I type the name, click Enter, get to last slide and see nothing, then I rewind back, click Enter again, and then on the last slide I see it.

I've triple-checked my work and I'm pretty sure I have all of the right settings. Why might this be happening and is there a fix?

Thanks!

Inna

Community Beginner
Correct answer by innaSF | Community Beginner

BUT! After all sorts of trial and error, it appears what was breaking it was that I had "Retain Text" and "Auto-Submit" checked for the Text Entry.

To me, it sounded like that would 'retain' the variable and 'auto-submit' in case the user forgot to click Enter, but I guess it was retaining the blank default text I had within the box maybe?

I can't believe it was that simple, I feel sort of silly now, but hopefully this can help some future designers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 02, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something may be wiping out your variable value along the way.  Try inserting the variable into a Smart Shape on an early slide. Set the timing of the Smart Shape to Rest of Project and then watch the value shown in the Smart Shape as you progress through to the end.  It should then show where the variable is either not being set or else being reset somewhere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is weird. Retain text only means that the text will be shown in the TEB.  You don't validate the TEB input, or do you? The vairable is populated when the user types, the submit is really only necessary when you want to validate. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I don't validate.

I agree it's odd and doesn't make sense based on what those options are supposed to do.

I had my colleague try as well though, and the only way it worked (after trying literally a dozen different things) was when I un-checked those two boxes.

I am using Captivate 9...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2018 0
Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 9.0.2.437?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2018 0
Lilybiri LATEST
Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea what could happen. Did you try to replace the TEB, since it doesn't have to be validated, by a Scrolling Text Interaction? I have used it a lot, since it allows also to let the learner enter text, which is stored in a user variable. Here is an example of a use case:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/custom-short-answer-question

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 08, 2018 0