• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video Crashing The Course If > 5 Minutes & LMS Set To Open In New Window (Captivate 2019)

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 

Having issues with certain modules I've created in Captivate 2019. Hoping someone may be able to help.

Issue happens when:

• The module contains video longer than 5 minutes (either embedded or using a web object with Vimeo link).
  • LMS is set to open in new window.
  • An android device is being used.

More details

• Courses are built with Captivate 2019
  • I have 10 modules (each treated as a separate package and uploaded as a separate SCORM file). 8 are working perfectly. 2 keep crashing in mobile (but work on laptop and iPad).
  • The 2 packages that crash contain an opening video that is over 5 minutes long (the others that work, are all under 5 minutes).
  • If the LMS is set to open in frameset then the modules work fine. When the LMS is set to open in a new window those 2 modules start to have issues.
    • After around 5 minutes one of the tabs closes and I'm just left with a completely blank screen (if I click reload, then a new tab opens again and I'm returned to the start of the video).
    • To be mobile compatible I want the LMS set to open the packages in a new window so that when the user hits an exit button at the end of the package they are taken back to the course menu so they can move onto the next module/package.
      • I've been advised by the LMS provider we're using to have the exit button set to simply 'exit' the course rather than using it to redirect to the course menu via a URL link. So, if I were to leave the LMS setting as open in frameset, then for the android user - when they click the exit button they are left with a screen with a message telling them to close the page. Essentially at the end of each module they would then have to close the page and re-log into the LMS to get to the next module. 

Ideally hoping for a solution to simply stop the errors being caused when the LMS is set to open in new window. Perhaps there is a setting I can tweak or snippit of code I can use somewhere?

However, if anyone has any other tricks or ideas that may make it work within frameset that would be great too!

Things I’ve tried:

• Using a working Captivate file from another module to recreate the module from scratch
  • Re-encoding the video to shrink the video size
  • Splitting the video into 2 files and using them across 2 slides
  • Putting a ‘loading slide’ between the 2 video slides
  • Putting a loading slide with a next button between the 2 video slides (thinking perhaps it was 5 minutes of no activity whilst watching on mobile that was the issue)
  • Embedding the videos with Vimeo
  • Testing in SCORM Cloud (same issues)
  • Getting the LMS provider to test (same issues)

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks,

Harley

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you linking the modules together? Does one module open another? Or is each module opening on its own, from a link in the LMS?

When you say a tab closes, which tab is it?

It sounds like something is timing out or triggering a window to close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Chris. Each module is opening on its own (modules will be separate, but housed on a course page. So the user clicks launch on Module 1. Then once complete, they should be automatically taken back to the course page and they will be able to launch Module 2).

The tab that closes is the new window tab that is playing the content. And the remaining screen is the course screen (usually has a message saying 'we launched your course in a new window...' but instead it turns blank).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources