Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video Demo crashes Captivate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All 

I know this has been asked before and I have tried all the fixes suggested, I'm hoping someone may have a new idea. When I click Video Demo to create Captivate just shuts down:

- I have tried rebooting

- I’ve updated the software

- I’ve tried running while all other programmes are closed

- I’ve tried running as an admin

- I don't have a webcam or any webcam drivers installed

This has only just started and has been fine for the last 3 months, nothing has changed with my setup so I'm not sure why this has suddently started. Any help would be appreicated!

Natasha

TOPICS
Audio and video , Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it worked fine for months and then started doing this, something MUST have changed.  Was there some silent update to the Windows OS?

Another user recently reported a similar issue and said it was fixed after he uninstalled and reinstalled Captivate.  If you do this, make sure you select the option to delete Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob, IT have just tried this this morning and sadly the problem continues. Do you have nay other ideas?

IT suggested shariing the following message from Event Viewer, I don't know if this means anything to you:

Faulting application name: AdobeCaptivate.exe, version: 11.5.1.499, time stamp: 0x5d42e02b
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.1184, time stamp: 0x8569b554
Exception code: 0xe06d7363

Thanks

Natasha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message shows that the Captivate EXE is conflicting with a DLL call kernelbase.dll. This is a Windows System DLL buried deep inside the C:\Windows folder.In IT circles this type of problem is known as "DLL hell". 

Somewhere on your system there is another application that is making use of the same DLL and the resulting conflict is causing Captivate to crash.  You need your IT guys to find out what the other app is that is also wanting to use this DLL at the same time as Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod, this sound like it will be fun.... I'll let them know and see if we can pin it down!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What the techs are going to find when they start digging around inside the Windows folder on your system is that there will in fact be several copies of this system DLL buried in different sub folders, and they will most likely NOT all be the same version of that DLL.  Captivate needs a specific version of the DLL for it to run properly.  But if some other app on your system is already using that DLL then Captivate might end up with another non-compatible version and then crash.  

You should also get one of the IT techs who has full Admin privileges log into your PC with his profile and then try to run Captivate in the same way that you end up crashing it.  E.g trying to do a Video Demo.  If the tech can do it but you cannot, that would indicate that a big part of the problem is likely to be that you are not able to run Captivate with high enough privileges.  Captivate is supposed to be launched with Run As Administrator privilege.  If you are not able to do that, you will definitely end up with problems because certain tasks (i.e. Video Demo) require lower level access to the system than others because they are accessing the video or audio drivers etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources