• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video playback sync - what expectations should I have?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Has anyone else experienced laggy video/motion-path smart shape playback and losing sync with timings set on the slide timeline?

Here is one example:

I want to make interactive videos that have questions or slides pop up. Some of these slides may contain buttons (smart shapes) with audio. The problem I am having is that the videos seem to get quite laggy when playing back on a LMS as a SCORM wrapped project. 

For example I have a 60 second video with an overlay slide 15 seconds in. This overlay slide contains a button that the user must press within a few seconds of it appearing. If they press it within a few seconds the video will continue. If they don't press it in a certain time they branch to a bookmark further along the video showing what would happen. 

In reality when I am playing this back from a LMS the content is choppy and freezes for up to 15 seconds before resuming again and sometimes skipping over parts of the video clip! 

On a separate note I have also had issues with motion path object losing sync with other objects on the time line during playback from LMS platforms. 

If anyone has successfully managed to use Captivate to create branched based video stories or slides with motion paths that don't have lag I'd love to hear how you did it!

Thanks for reading. 

Sources and settings:

Captivate Version: 11.5.1

Windows 10 PC (Alienware R7)

Project output :SCORM 1.2

30 FPS.

800x450 pixels. 

Video: MP4 800x450 30fps. Bitrate 1.5 Mbps

Testsed using SCORM Cloud on iPad A1823 (Safari) and Samsung A50 phone (Chrome).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you  try to use multiple slides instead of one long video slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using multiple videos across multiple slides but will try one video across multiple slides. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this but still having issues with video playback going out of synch by pausing, or for overlay slides being delayed by several seconds. Very strange and dont experience it on preview or local playback from desktop storage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All depends as well on the bandwidth. Try to reduce the file size of the videos by all means: resolution as needed, no stereo for audio etc.. 

Try this link to one of my interactive videos to see if you have the same problems:

Custom Play/Pause button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I am thinking it could possibly be to do with the sending of interaction data during the playback of the Captivate project hosted on a LMS. When I've hosted it on Amazon AWS S3 storage I've had no issues with the playback of the content. I could disable the SCORM 1.2 reporting. 

Is there a way of sending the SCORM intraction data at the end? I know this option exists on Captivate but were there any other settings to be mindful of before creating the zip folder output? 

Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Switch to the SCORM Template SendDataTrackingAtEnd

SCORMEnd.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources