Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video playbar appearing after first pass

Participant ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi team

I will be embedding a a couple of videos into captivate slides (@ one video per slide).

When the viewer is seeing the video for the first time, he should not be able to use the video's navigation bar to scroll forward or backward. But after seeing the video completely for the first time, the option to scroll the video forward or backward should appear. This applies to every video in each captivate slide.

How to do so?

Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

That was the code.  OK, will put it in the Advanced Actions dialog box.

• Define user variable v_visit
    varVvisit.PNG

• Create this advanced action:
    EnterPlaybar.PNG
  • Above is the Preview, in the dialog box it looks like this for the first decision:
    FirstDecision.PNG
  • For the Second decision, THEN part:
    SecondDecisionTHEN.PNG
    and ELSE part:
    SecondDecisionTHEN.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you insert the video? As event video or slide video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily

I go to Media and import the video. Not sure whether it is called an event video or a slide video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the choice in that dialog box, but I seem to remember that Event is the default choice.

In that case your question has no answer, because Event video plays totally independent of the Captivate timeline. That is the reason why you don't need to change the slide duration, and that a dedicated control panel is added to the video. I think it is possible to detect the end of the video with JavaScript and use that event to show another objectt, but you cannot prevent the control panel from appearing. In HTML output, it appears when you hover over the bottom part of the video.

To achieve what you want, you need to insert as Slide video. You will have to extend the slide duration to the duration of the video clip. Then you can add an action On Enter to show or hide the default playbar in Captivate. That action can be based on checking a user variable, which I will label v_visit. It would store the number of visits to that slide. If it is the first visit, the playbar should be hidden, else it will be shown. You need to increment the variable v_visit, which can also be done in that same action. If you need more info, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I shall try it out and revert asap!

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily

I tried the second portion of your answer and I think I've got it. 

However, i need your support on the coding portion on showing the playbar based on the user variable pls.

thanks in advance.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to know that this will show the default Captivate playbar. I emphasize this because the progress bar is for the complete project, not just for the video slide.

The used variable is here v_visit for this slide, its start value being 0. Was thinking about an action like this for the On Enter event:

First decision 'Always' is not conditional

Increment v_visit

Second decision 'PlaybarShow is conditional

IF v_visit is greater than 1

Show Playbar

ELSE

Hide Playbar

On the first visit, the variable will be 1, and the playbar will be hidden. On each later visit the value will be greater than 1 and the playbar will be show

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lily, thanks for the algorithm!! I'm sure it will work like a charm. Yea, I perfectly understand why you emphasise on the progress bar.

Requesting your kind support on the coding Lily. I'm quite out of touch on the actual coding part and your support will be of great assistance.

Thanks in advance!!

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the code.  OK, will put it in the Advanced Actions dialog box.

• Define user variable v_visit
    varVvisit.PNG

• Create this advanced action:
    EnterPlaybar.PNG
  • Above is the Preview, in the dialog box it looks like this for the first decision:
    FirstDecision.PNG
  • For the Second decision, THEN part:
    SecondDecisionTHEN.PNG
    and ELSE part:
    SecondDecisionTHEN.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily

Thanks for patiently answering my noob question. That is so very kind of you.

I shall check it out and revert shortly.

Thanks a ton again!!!!

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you appreciate, is not always the case... Insults are cheap.

Screenshots are taken in a 11.5 version.

Full explanation of the Advanced Actions dialog box in:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-actions-dialog-box-in-captivate-2017

You can see me working in that dialog box in the presentation I gave at the Adobe eLearning World 2020 conference. All presentations are still online in the eLearning Community:

https://elearning.adobe.com/elearning_world/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never take those insults to heart! Your worth is definitely above them all Lily!

Thanks for sharing those links. My coding is under progress. Updates coming up shortly.

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lily!

The advanced actions works like a charm!! Appreciate your kind support!!

Thanks a lot and have a nice day!

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was a pretty simple advanced action, but glad it has helped you out. Thanks for marking the correct answer, can be useful for other users. Success with Captivate, it is a wonderful tool but needs some patience for taming like a thoroughbred 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources