• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vimeo videos inserted with Web Object

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating e-learning lessons with Captivate (2017 Release). They involve showing a streaming video. Since there is no widget for Vimeo videos, I'm using a Web Object with the Vimeo embed code. It works great, but here's the problem.

There are two timing settings that are needed. The first is the slide duration, which I always set it to about 5 seconds longer than the video that will play. This is so the slide doesn't time out and continue the lesson before the video is finished.

The second is the Timing setting for the video itself. It is set to "Display For: Rest of Slide." I've also tried setting it to a specific time that matches the time set for the slide duration.

Everything is hunky-dorey unless the learner decides to pause the video. Once resumed, it gets cut short at the end because the slide timer apparently keeps running.

I looked into any kind of parameters that could be included in the Vimeo embed code. There is one that disallows the use of the Play/Pause button (which would be acceptable), but it also does an Autoload and Loop, which I don't want. And it doesn't allow those two options to be turned off with other parameters.

According to the Adobe Help page Work with event videos in Adobe Captivate , there is a checkbox under Video timing that allows you to pause the slide until the video finishes, but it's part of Event Videos, which doesn't allow the use of a Vimeo URL or embed code. This option doesn't appear to be available when using a Web Object with an embed code for the video.

So.. what am I missing? Is there a simple setting I've overlooked? Is there a way to pause the slide at the same time the video might be paused?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it's a web object, displaying a video on another server in an iFrame, Captivate has no way of knowing the properties of the video.

You would have to edit that web object after publishing and attach event listeners to the video yourself. Or create an html page that does all of this for you.

I can't paste the code to do this right now, but I have posted it before. I'll post it tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither option is really practical. I have hundreds of lessons with embedded videos, and the time to do either is simply not available. Surely there's some way to pause the slide until the video finishes, just like with event videos?? I just want the slide to stay put until the video finishes. As long as the learner doesn't pause at all, there's no problem.

But I'll take a look at your code anyway -- I just hope that's not the only option! Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no other way. You have to have listeners on the video to know when it ends.

You could develop JavaScript and put that on every slide, but this route is much easier.

I create the same html page for every video, it can read the slide label to know which video to load. Done it many times with YouTube videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources