• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Volume control issue - volume reverts to maximum when i progress to new slide

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue with the background music for my presentation.

The background music defaults to the maximum setting.

To address this I added volume control for the user, first via the 'volume control' widget in learning interactions and then via making 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons using expressions in advanced actions.

Both of those work but only for the inidividual slide only, when I click to the next slide it reverts to the ear splitting maximum.

i.e. lets say the volume to the slide is set at '10', the user uses the volume control to turn the sound down to lets say '6' when they click onto the next slide captivate resetes the volume to '10'. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you really talking about background music? If yes, why not just lower the volume by editing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my issue is that if the user finds the volume on the slide too loud and they turn it down, when the click to the next slide the volume reverts.

i.e. lets say the volume o the slide is set at '10', the user uses the volume control to turn the sound down to lets say '6' when they click onto the next slide captivate resetes the volume to '10'. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this Background Music added via the Audio > Import to > Background menu item?

Or is it just Slide Audio that shows on the timeline of each individual slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Background music.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you can capture the volume level in a variable and set the volume on slide enter, you're probably out of options.

In this thread ( https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/10/volume-level-control-add-captivates-native-skin-playbars-part-1/ ), there's a "Known Limitation" with regards to audio levels [edit: see comment below...this is not a Global audio widget resetting levels issue]

• The ‘Volume Control’ Interaction does not reflect any externally invoked volume level changes; say through advanced actions or js, and always defaults to a level of 100%. So if you e.g. wanted to set the volume to a default level of 75% for your course, you can do that through actions on slide enter first slide, but once the Volume Control is invoked first time, it will not reflect that and show 100% level nonetheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote that blog post cited here. However I was more refering to the limitation of the Volume Control widget not capturing and reflecting volume changes done elsewhere, not to the volume level mysteriously resetting itself on slide enter, as the OP reports. Seems like a different issue to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I was wondering about that. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I think I may have figured something out. I looked at the JS code for the volume widget and they're setting the volume to 100 (the max), by default using the cpCmndVolume variable. 

I did a couple of tests:

1. Added a Volume widget to each slide
  2. Added a Volume widget to slide 1, and set Timing>Display for>Rest of project

For the first test, I changed the volume while on slide 1 to about 50%, and when it hit slide 2, it jumped back to 100. This makes logical sense, as a new instance of the vol widget gets created and then set to 100.

For the second test, I changed the volume in the same manner, and it remained there for the rest of the slides.

So, if you set yours to show for rest of project, you should be good. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources