• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ways to optimize .oam and .gif playback in Captivate 2017 projects?

Engaged ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a captivate project in which I include a lot of .oam interactions that I built in Adobe Animate (I needed a lot of custom interaction and creating these as HTML5 documents in Animate seemed easier than trying to navigate through Captivate's advanced actions to see if it could even do what I needed it to).

I have a couple of .gif files in my captivate project as well, but haven't put in too many of these as they seem to really bog the project down.

When testing my project, the .oam files load very slowly. It takes a couple of seconds on each slide for the .oam file to show up when testing on desktop and it takes even longer when testing on a mobile device.

My captivate project is responsive with breakpoints and I publish it out as an HTML file (it needs to run on mobile devices).

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to increase playback performance of my captivate project / decrease the load time for each .oam file?

Is there a better way to integrate the .oam files into my project? (I've inserted them all as web objects).

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I insert OAM's as HTML animations, under the Interactions button.

Increasing performance? Use as little animations as is possible How big is the published project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess a part of the problem is also that I have multiple OAM files on each slide since I have different sized ones for the different breakpoints (i.e. one OAM for desktop, one for tablet, and one for phone). Maybe I will try playing with Animate's publish options to see if I can get the OAM files to scale within Captivate, because currently I cannot get them to scale once placed into Captivate.

My final published project folder comes out to be 77.4 MB,  containing 368 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm,  you are using Breakpoint views, not Fluid boxes?

I try to keep published file intended to be viewed on phones, below 30MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Breakpoints. I tried using fluid boxes briefly and didn't like the lack of control I felt there was. Though for my next project I think I will try using fluid boxes again and try to get more comfortable with them so I don't have to edit each slide for 4 different breakpoints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you would like to read my reflections on both work flows?

Fluid Boxes Or Breakpoint Views? - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I've having the same issues with some oam animations in my projects, mostly when there are animated characters and the appear on screen after some seconds, it's weird and some clients already complained about it.

The only way I found to avoid these seconds of loading, was including all the oam animations in the first slide, and hide them. That way, the animations load since the begining of the course, so by the time the student arrives to the slide I need to show the animation, it is "preloaded" and it shows inmediatly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources