• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the Select field for in a drag and drop interaction?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a drag and drop interaction window, there's the interaction title, then Select, Mark As, and Add To. What is the Select for? On my drag sources, this is blank, but the drag targets show the target name. One of my drag sources shows a value here though, and I can't get rid of it.

It's common for my entire interaction to work fine in Preview but not work in Publish mode because while the tool recognizes what drop sources are (my cursor turns into a hand over them), I can't move them 99% of the time. Once in a blue moon one will move. I can't find troubleshooting on this.

TOPICS
Advanced actions , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Select item you refer to is the name of the drop down list that shows which items belong to the slide where the Drag and Drop interaction is located.  You need to select an object before you can then configure whether it is a Drag Object or a Drop Target by selecting one of the choices in the Mark As field (also a dropdown list).

You need to use these two fields (Select and Mark As) to set up the objects that will be draggable or that will respond when a drag object is dropped on them.  Your drag and drop interaction will not work properly unless all objects are configured properly.  (The Add To field is used to group objects.  I recommend you don't worry about that field until you have learned more about how these interactions work. Your knowledge at the moment seems very limited and making things any more complex is probably not a good idea.)

If your content is going to be published as HTML5, I recommend you test in a web server environment for best results because that will be closest to the way end users will experience it. 

Google for "adobe captivate drag and drop tutorial" for more learning resources.  There's a lot available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this sounds like a newbie question, why not use the wizard for Drag&Drop to set up the basics of the interaction? I never use it, but in that case the field you are pointing at will be filled when you need to fine tune the interaction using the Drag&Drop panel.

You open the wizard with the big button Interactions, Drag&Drop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I see what the Select part is for (you choose an object in the Select menu and it gives you that object's properties as a source / target). The interaction was created with the wizard, which is quite straightforward. My remaining confusion is that my interactions work fine in the preview but not when published on my computer. The objects generate a hand cursor as though they are meant to be moveable objects, but I can't move them 99% of the time. Once in a while after 10+ clicks, one will be moveable. Seems like a glitch. I guess I have to publish it on the LMS to see if it will actually work, which isn't deal, as that's a two-day wait. I don't know if this is a common issue. Other interactions with the same exact parameters in other courses work fine. There also doesn't seem to be a place to post files for people to look at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try publishing to SCORM Cloud, which is possible from within Captivate. No waiting time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources