My html5 output works fine in Firefox and Microsoft Edge when I click on the index.html file to play locally, but with Chrome it does not plaly well at all, and takes forever to load, and has to load twice. What's going on with campatibility with Chrome?
I am using Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit for Chrome), which is the current version for Chrome
For Captivate 2019 I am using the latest version 126.96.36.1996.
It might be just a security restriction when trying to play the content locally. That's not uncommon at all.
The more important thing to check is whether or not your content plays fine in Chrome from a web server or LMS. Have you checked that yet?
I’ll post to the web to check out your suggestion, and then get back to you.
If I may ask, I think it was several years ago that you suggested in another post that the best all round general project resolution was 995 x 627. Does that recommendation still hold true in 2018-19, or would you now recommend something higher?
That suggestion was based on the average monitor resolutions of the day, which were not widescreen HD format as they are nowadays. It was also using an Overlay TOC rather than separate TOC on the side of the content screen.
So, yes I think you would be well-advised to use different settings nowadays. And if you are building for Responsive output, then these project sizes have little or no meaning.
Having said that, I'm still finding the vast majority of my clients are only interested in desktop delivery (because they are mainly offering training to corporate users). My current project size is now 1024 x 627 pixels with a 300 pixel TOC on the left side. (Not all that different really from all those years ago when I wrote that article.) I don't see the wisdom in building for 1920 pixel width because that will only make the file sizes of the output much larger. People have no trouble viewing my content at 1024 wide.
You were right: when I posted to a website, Chrome played it back ok, but not from a local index file. It’s so odd: I tried to Google this, but could not find any mention of issues for Chrome with playing back local index.html files. Yet that is the reality of what was happening.
Look at it this way, now that you know what is happening you can test that your content works properly and you don't have to worry that it will not work for your end users.
Rather than uploading content to an external web server for testing each time, I suggest you look into installing a WAMMP or XAMMP web server locally so that you can just use a localhost server for testing. This also gives you the option of setting up your own Moodle server on that setup so that you have a free SCORM 1.2 LMS for testing purposes.