• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does the LMS report a Success criteria of "Unknown" for a quiz that I fail?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2014 Jun 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using Captivate 6 to create a course in which there are three components, a demo, a try it, and a test. I have only configured the test click boxes to "Include in Quiz". Also, I set my quiz preferences as shown below.

So basically our client wants an Incomplete ---> Pass/Fail reporting with the pass fail set at 80% (which I've done in the 'Pass or Fail' section of the Quiz preferences)

QuizSettings.jpg

I'm testing my results in SCORM cloud and they are as follows:

When I click through my test passing it, SCORM Cloud reports

Completions Status: "Complete"

Success: "Passed"

Score: "97.8%"

However when I take the test and intentionally try to fail it, I get:

Completions Status: "Incomplete"

Success: "Unknown"

Score: "44.28%"

What I can't figure out is why 'Unknown'? Shouldn't this have been "Failed"? So I created a small dummy one-slide project with six boxes. Set all of them to be included in the quiz (so each box contributes 16.67%) when clicked and set a passing grade to 80%. I tested this on SCORM Cloud and failed it intentionally, and got what I expected.

DummyScoreTest.jpg

Completions Status: "Incomplete"

Success: "Failed"

So why didn't this work in my main course? What could be causing the LMS to not know that I failed the Quiz and recording the success field as "Unknown"? Been trying this for a while now and can't figure this out. Appreciate any sort of help I can get here.

Thanks,

Sean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jun 16, 2014 Jun 16, 2014

There is not a "success status" in SCORM 1.2.

There really is no way of knowing what your LMS is using to determine/display a "success" of failed.

Captivate sets objectives to failed in this line, with the "failed" held in the strSCORMStatus variable.

SCORM_CallLMSSetValue("cmi.objectives." + intObjectiveIndex + ".status", strSCORMStatus) && blnResult;

This sets the objective status based on the lesson_status and shuod set the objective status to "incomplete" if the lesson_status is "incomplete".

I t

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Jun 16, 2014 Jun 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not a "success status" in SCORM 1.2.

There really is no way of knowing what your LMS is using to determine/display a "success" of failed.

Captivate sets objectives to failed in this line, with the "failed" held in the strSCORMStatus variable.

SCORM_CallLMSSetValue("cmi.objectives." + intObjectiveIndex + ".status", strSCORMStatus) && blnResult;

This sets the objective status based on the lesson_status and shuod set the objective status to "incomplete" if the lesson_status is "incomplete".

I think that technically if the Completion status is "incomplete", there is no way to know what the success would be because the LMS thinks that all scored interactions have not been complete yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks TLC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - sorry to drag up an old thread, but I am having a similar problem to the original poster, albeit using SCORM 2004 when I publish.
When a learner fails my quiz, I am getting "unknown" returned as the success status instead of "Failed" in SCORM Cloud.

I have a simple 6 multiple choice question quiz that a learner must answer 100% to pass.

When the learner gets 100%; when tested, SCORM Cloud reports the following:

Completion: Complete
Success: Passed

Score: 100%

Time: whatever it took

When the learner fails the quiz and scores less than 100% (for example 33.33%) and exits the course; when tested, SCORM Cloud reports the following:

Completion: Incomplete
Success: Unknown

Score: 33.33%

Time: whatever it took

The completion status of "Incomplete" seems to make sense, since I've set the Completion Criteria (as shown below) to be determined by whether the quiz is passed. So I assume until that quiz is passed, the completion status is correct by returning "Incomplete"?!

But for the success parameter, since I failed the quiz, how can I replace the "Unknown" status with "failed" instead?

I would've assumed by default that the "Failed" status would show automatically if a learner actually fails?!

My client's LMS is Workday and they require SCORM 2004 instead of 1.2, and at the moment the unknown status is causing problems with their reporting data.

Of note, my Captivate Quiz Results slide appears to be working correctly and returns the correct details when a Learner passes or fails etc. It's just not setting the Success parameter to "failed" when a Learner actually fails the quiz.

results_slide.jpg

Perhaps I'm setting something up incorrectly?

I've read numerous threads on similar topics, but all delve too deep into Javascript or a parameter called cmi.success_status that I don't really understand, but perhaps someone can help me troubleshoot. I'm willing to give anything a try.

Here is a screenshot of my Captivate 9 settings:

Perpetual_SCORM_Insider_Trading_4.jpg

.... and my pass/fail option is set to 100% or more of total points to pass.

Here is the link to my SCORM Cloud log if its of any use.

SCORM Cloud

In my report above I notice the following lines towards the bottom:

[04:19:00.645] Completion Threshold is not specified, using the completion status recorded by the SCO-incomplete

[04:19:00.645] Scaled Passing Score is not specified, using the success status recorded by the SCO-unknown

I suspect these might be a clue, but I'm not sure what to do next.

Any help appreciated.
Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is the quiz you are testing against set to "unlimited tries" in the Failure branch?

That wsa my issue.

If I only allow 1 try at the quiz and the user fails it then SCORM Cloud reports a "failed" status.

If I set it to "unlimited tries" the  status will ONLY change when the user passes teh quiz. Until then it is always set to "unknown".

This ISNT the case when publishing for SCORM 1.2 though. I can fail a quiz even if I have infinite tries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TLC's correct overall.

The easiest solution is to use SCORM 2004, if you're LMS supports it. Then it can report the 'completion status' and the 'success status' both.

Otherwise, SCORM 1.2 just supports 'lesson status' which can be passed, failed, completed, incomplete.

By your CP settings, it would seem CP should be sending 'passed/failed'...so I would have expected your LMS results to be:

--

Completions Status: "Passed"

Score: "97.8%"

-

Completions Status: "Failed" (or "Incomplete")

--

BUT it is technically up to your LMS to determine how to report those results.

If it works as you'd expect on the SCORM Cloud, that's not too surprising as Rustici developed both the SCORM cloud and the SCORM engine that CP7+ use.

If it doesn't work as you expect on your LMS, that's likely because your vendor interpreted the spec differently (which is a common issue). You should ask them what values they expect to get the results you need, if you're stuck with SCORM 1.2...or just tell the boss that's the way the LMS works.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Erik.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources