• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does the timelines counter disappear?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2014 Jan 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a project and more and more frequently my timeline counter disappears. I'm not able to move the curser and edit. I have to save, close Captivate, and re-open. Even at this point, it only reappears sometimes.

I've had this problem in the past but its happening more and more and causing production to slow!

1.PNG

Please help, what can I do? Has anyone else had this issue?

Windows 8

Captivate 8

I've had this problem working on other PCs as well fyi

Thanks in advance Captivate experts!!!

Sabrina

TOPICS
Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 26, 2014 Jan 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 8???? I guess you meant Captivate 7.

Seems like a RAM issue. Please close any other open application and try.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2014 Jan 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Sreekanth, this happened a lot in version 6 (and sometimes in 5 as well). And I have 32GB of RAM on my system + NVidia GTX680 with 2GB. It was a bug...

@Sabrina please mention the exact version number if you are indeed on 6, you should have 240 or more as last numbers, if you are still on the one that ends with 199, upgrade ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this happen on my brand spanking new MacBook and only had Captivate (one project), Fireworks, and Bridge open on the screen. I wasn't exactly putting the machine through its paces. Once I did turn off/on Captivate though - the timeline came back.

See my screen below.

timeline.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

Yes, this is happening to me as well - and it seems to be happening with greaer frequency. I am inclined to call it a bug. Is there an ETA on a fix?

Erin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It even happened sometimes in 6, and seems not to be totally solved. But just moving to another slide and coming back mostly repairs the timeline, so I don't bother so much about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri wrote:

But just moving to another slide and coming back mostly repairs the timeline.

Maybe the "bug fix" since 6 has changed the characteristics of the problem.

I regularly loose the "ruller" at the top of the timeline (7.0.1 + Win7) and changing slides never fixes it.

I end up moving the two sliders at the bottom of the timeline till eventually I am able to see both the ruller AND the section of the timeline I want to edit.

Phebe - I agree - definately a BUG!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2014 Feb 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, maybe I'm just lucky. What about resetting or changing a workspace?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2014 Apr 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never had this happen in Captivate 6, but upgraded to 7 just last week. This has happened several times, and makes it very difficult to work.

RAM was recently upgraded, so I have lots of it.

Closing and reopening seems to bring it back, but I can't be doing that every 10 minutes.

Has anyone found a resolution yet?

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2014 Apr 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try refreshing your workspace.  You might also need to clear out your project cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2014 Jun 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is alive and well in Captivate 8, on both the Mac and Windows versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happening to me right now, and I'm using Captivate 8, the only other window opened is PowerPoint.  Yet ANOTHER bug in this worthless program of agony. Never, ever ever again will I purchase Adobe garbage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will you make that a promise?

I'm sorta growing tired of the rants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 02, 2014 Jun 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced this in both CP6 and CP7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue in Captivate 9, and just started using it.  😞

Windows 7 Professional

Intel Core i7 @ 2.6 GHz

16G RAM

64 Bit OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2015 Dec 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue.

Try resetting your Workspace, moving the timeline slider back and forth a bit, relaunching Captivate, or resetting the Preferences folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one either reset the Workspace, or reset the Preferences folder?

My current project is pretty much freezing every time I click the video bar. The cursor turns to a fist for about 5 minutes, and then eventually, the screen comes back, with no timeline. I'm not able to do anything with the file, as clicking the video bar is about the 3rd action I complete after opening the file.

I have cleared cache, and made sure that everything is local. Is there anything system-wise I can do to improve the capability?  It's only a 7 minute video with graphics, audio, highlighting boxes, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Workspace can be reset via the dropdown menu in the upper right corner of the Captivate UI.

Resetting the Preferences folder is done by executing the relevant CleanPreferences utility found in the Utils folder of the Captivate installation directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Captivate 9, and the same problem appears to be happening from several previous versions. I reset the Workspace, then used the ClearnPreferences for Win. I had to restart Captivate to retrieve my timeline counter AND my ability to move the timeline slider I cannot grab and move it). Here is how the timeline looks w/o the counters

Time will tell if your solution was a permanent fix to Captivate or the restart was the temporary fix like it has been for the last couple weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been quite a while now since I did see that issue appearing (as was the case in previous versions). Are you on 9.0.1.320?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That is the version I'm using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really wonder what is causing this. The issue that the timeline doesn't refresh immediately when change stacking order by dragging timelines, is still present for me. However it has been several months since I last did see the time counter disappear. Are you working in the newbie or expert UI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just disappeared again. Not sure what you mean by the "newbie" UI. I'm using the "Classic" view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the Big buttons Library and Properties? In that case you use

the newbie UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see nothing that says "Big Buttons." Does this help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources