• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does the timelines counter disappear?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2014 Jan 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a project and more and more frequently my timeline counter disappears. I'm not able to move the curser and edit. I have to save, close Captivate, and re-open. Even at this point, it only reappears sometimes.

I've had this problem in the past but its happening more and more and causing production to slow!

1.PNG

Please help, what can I do? Has anyone else had this issue?

Windows 8

Captivate 8

I've had this problem working on other PCs as well fyi

Thanks in advance Captivate experts!!!

Sabrina

TOPICS
Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, those are the Big Buttons (which take up too much real estate), nickname I invented and lot of users took it over. You are in Newbie UI. Have no idea if the issues are less in the UI that I'm using (can undock panels, have custom workspaces...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use the advanced UI, where you can dock and undock panels and create the custom workspaces that Lilybiri alluded to, hit Shift+<F8> and click the box to enable them.  See the attached picture, below.  This might help, but it's hard to say. Good luck.

Cap_9_Preferences.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I made the change, re-started, and now we'll see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is clearly a bug that has not been fixed as I am using Captivate 10 and it is happening to me.  I have read through all of the responses and tried each suggested "fix" with no avail.  Quite frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarting Captivate is the ONLY thing that brings back the timeline for me.  And restarting regularly is a MAJOR inconvenience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree this behaviour is frustrating at times, but I never have to reboot Captivate to get it back on my PC.

Does it not come back if you grab the horizontal timeline slider and wiggle it back and forth?  That works for me.

I also find that sometimes changing the slider value to expand or contract the timeline can also sometimes bring back the timeline measure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t have to reboot my computer but I do have to close Captivate and go

back in to activate the timeline again. Just a nuisance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone in this post who have found the workarounds for this issue. I'm not expecting Adobe to resolve this, since it's been happening ever since version 6, but I now have a 3 step process (which others in this post helped me to discover - thanks!) to resolve the issues I face with the Captivate disappearing timeline AND the suggish performance. Hoepfully this will help you too:

Take the following steps to try to remedy the situation:

1. Clear the cache
  2. Reset the workspace
  3. Reset the preferences folder

Clear the cache:

• Edit, Preferences

• Select "General Settings" (in the Category list)

• Click the Clear Cache button

• Click OK when prompted

Reset the workspace:

• At the top right, the current Workspace is displayed (this defaults to "Classic")

• Click the dropdown, choose Reset <workspace name>

Reset the preferences folder:

• Browse to the installation folder. e.g. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 6 x64\

• Open the "Utils" folder

• Run the appropriate batch file e.g. CleanPreferencesWin.bat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple fix.

Captivate 8.

Place your cursor over the horizontal scroll bar located along the bottom border of the timeline.

Use your cursor to move the horizontal scroll bar back and forth a few times. Doing so should reactivate the hash marks (ruler) on the timeline.

Cheers!

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using captivate 19 and have this issue constantly. Samuel's fix works if you bang the slider full left and hey presto the time scale reappears

thx

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this was reported as a bug **7 years** ago. Can we get a fix???

Using Captivate 2019 release.

Happens several times a week. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting...
Always fun when these really old threads pop to the front...

Been using Captivate for many, many years - I have never experienced this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you log a bug report? This is a user forum... you don't reach the Captivate team using a thread here. Personally I didn't see this happen anymore since quite a while, just FYI. I am on 11.5.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources