• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Adobe Captivate so slow?

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a late 2013 MBP with 16GB RAM, and the latest version of Adobe Captivate downloaded with my Creative Cloud subscription, but I consistently find that Adobe Captivate runs especially slow. Enough to hinder my day-to-day workflow.

I've noticed that it will only use a max of 3GB of RAM, and doesn't seem to be taking advantage of the full capabilities of the CPU, as my CPU % sits at around 15-20, even while performing presumably resource-intensive tasks. I could understand if it was maxing out the CPU and performing poorly, because at least it was using all the resources it could to try and deliver the best performance. But it is laggy and slow without even using the resources available to it.

Does anyone know if you can adjust the RAM or CPU allocation settings for Adobe Captivate? I've used other software that performed poorly before, but I was able to adjust the settings for how many resources I allocated to it, and saw great performance gains.

As an example of just how slow Adobe Captivate is for me, I like to move objects on the slide with shift+arrow keys for precise placement. Adobe Captivate is so slow that I can press the arrow key about ten times one direction, and then just sit there for almost a full minute and just watch the object slowly make its way to my desired location. Comparing this to other software on my MacBook, it is extremely slow. Keynote for example provides the same functionality, however objects snap to the position I move them to in real-time, with no lag whatsoever. 

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nutley, thanks for that suggestion. I did note you made it earlier.

As a new user of Captivate I'm not sure it's possible to access older versions.

Installing a previous version of Captivate

As a trial user I'm almost certain it isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can, I find it helps to move the cache folder to a totally different hard drive ie a hard drive where the cptx isn't saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I had the same problem, I solved it by changing the screen resolution to 1600x1900 or less depending on the machine.

The problem seems to be in the power of the video card or in the optimization of captivate vs video cards at high resolutions.

I describe the MAC where I work:

- Mac pro (late 2013)

- 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 processor

- Memory 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

- AMD FirePro D700 6 GB video card

- SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your suggestion worked for me. Thanks a lot!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing similar issues and have cleared the cache multiple times per day. I'm on Captivate 2019, 11.5.1.499 with Windows 10 enterprise v1803. My system has Intel xeon cpu e3-1545M v5 2.90 ghz processor, 32GB ram and I only have open my Captivate project which is 53MB and does not contain any video. I'm working on a few slides that have shapes for buttons and shapes for content (e.g., a flow-chart visual). I have preview slides set to "2" slides. After going into the state views for the slide layers I try to type in the shapes and after typing I wait a couple of minutes to see letters appear. As well, when I exit state view it's not prompting me to save, so I save within state view and there is a minute or two lag time between clicking the Save button and actually seeing the process begin. When I attempt to preview the two slides (the next one is a tab interaction with three tabs and only text content so far), I get the dialog box that shows about 25% of the process complete and "Not Responding" in the title bar. OneDrive is running in the background, and I have not done any other work between Saturday morning and this morning (Monday). IT says there were global updates last Wednesday, but none going on today. Captivate is installed locally. On Friday I was working on these same slides and only got 5 slides done in 8 hours, which should have been at most a couple of hours of work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did see a lot of people having issues with OneDrive.... although I always work on documents that are synchronized with OneDrive, and on systems with lower specifications than yours, do not have that slow experience. In most cases I have also Photoshop, Illustrator and more open besides Captivate. I have a dedicated graphics card in two PC's, but not in my Surface Pro where I do create as well. 

Can you try to ttransfer the document to a location which is outside of the documents synchronized with OneDrive to see if you have the same experience? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don't understand is that it sometimes exports a course quickly - change a few settings, such as "always completes" to "completes on passed," it takes much longer - and often crashes. Very minor adjustments. 

This includes if I clear cache or if I don't from previous exports.

For comparison, I exported a course in 7 minutes, changed a setting and it took over 50 minutes to a different directory - and crashed. Tried again, over 40 minutes, then crashed. Next day, try again - it took almost 20 minutes, but worked that time at least.

I'm at a loss as to why this would occur - it's the same source, same computer, just different times of day. I've eliminated cache as a possibility because I've cleared it after the first crash, rebooted computer, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you doing the following:

• Opening CPTX files that are already residing in folders on your PC hard drive, NOT on a network?
  • Attempting to publish these files ONLY to folders on your PC hard drive and NOT on another server or virtual folder location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources