• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is current slide showing previous slide in the background?

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone explain why when I publish a captivate project, I am seeing the previous slide in the background of the current slide. I have tried several things and nothing is working. The slide timings are set pretty straightforward as well as the back and next buttons.  I have tried looking through threads and using suggestions. Nothing has helped. I have checked timing and everything looks fine. I have never had this happen with previous versions.

• Windows 10 / 64 bit
  • Version 11.0.1.266 Captivate
  • non-responsive project with quiz at end
  • Using Theme
  • Not publishing to LMS yet…  just publishing local in .exe and swf.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using slide transitions? Is the next slide pausing before the transition has finished?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just the buttons. The user selects Next to continue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but this is a carryover from a previous project that worked flawlessly.

I am aware of Flash being faded out.

What would I need to check on Master? I have custom master slides. Is there something I need to check there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked to see some screenshots?

If the custom master slides were created in a previous version, that can lead to problems. Since I don't know what is on the master slides exactly, difficult to tell you what to check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed all transitions based on the HTML tracker…

The previous slide has finished, user selects Next and then while on current slide, the background of the previous slide is showing.

Do you think clearing and resetting preferences might help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to see screenshots of what I requested.  Still not seeing ANY screenshots in your replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exe file is also SWF-based. Hope you are aware of the fact that Flash Player will soon disappear and that lot of browser don't install the plugin anymore or even do not offer it? Do you have the same problem when publishing to HTML5 and uploading to a webserver? I have not used SWF output anymore since over 2 years.

What did you try? You say several things but do not specify what.

Can you show timelines of the tow slides, and screenshots of what you are seeing from the previous slide?

You don't have effects. Where are the pausing points of the buttons. Do you have items which are timed for the rest of the project?

Did you check the master slide used for the slides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like all the troubleshooting we normally do when things don’t go right- I checked timing, transitions, pausing of buttons etc.

I don’t think sending snapshots will help because there is no obvious “ah ha”. – It’s something you would need to go through and troubleshoot. So if there’s no “possible problem/possible resolution available for this issue, I guess this is not going to be resolved ☹

I am doing a full project output – audio, video, quizzing, etc. – Publishing to HTML seems to correct this but I had to strip several slides to test because whatever was on them didn’t support HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about master slides? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using one of the new themes in 2019 (not from the previous project)– I customized some of the slide designs.

Also when I output to HTML5 the issue does resolve itself but with several unsupporting element errors ( a new set of issues with HTML5)… HTML tracker has several (Use no transition) and rollover captions listed under “Unsupported State/Object”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those non-supported items are not new at all, were never supported.

Rollover captions/images are reported by the tracker because they cannot be functional on mobile devices, but they will be functional on desktop/laptops when mouse or trackpad is used.

If you create a fluid boxes project, there are some more limitations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that they are not new – what I meant is – No matter which output I choose, each presents their own set of issues.

What’s the point of having an elearning development program when the user cannot use the functionality you create…. Seems defeating….

I have to deliver a program with a quiz and I need these things to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this moment CP has to deliver output for SWF and HTML5. SWF was a real standard, very stable, output was exactly the same in all browsers. With HTML5 that is no longer the case. Not every functionalit which existed for SWF output is possible in HTML5 and moreover all Browsers support it in different levels, it is not a standard. Is it correct to blame the eLearning tool for that?

I have published courses to HTML5 since more than 2 years.  Every course worked fine. There are some limitations compared with the good old time, but do they really make the eLearning courses less engaging?  Not so sure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally get browsers and standards being diverse. … Tell that to the customer or the end user… I don’t think they care about all of this – they just want it to work….

So are you saying build and output in HTML5 and take out all of things that are not supported? HTML5 has been around for a while now – I am surprised it hasn’t evolved more but then again the browsers that attempt to support it haven’t evolved a whole lot either.

So where do I go from here? I think customer wants to choose a language, track quiz, and put on their own LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is not supported? Slide transitions and text animations. Rollovers will work, but not on mobile devices which is logical. Slide transitions never were important to me... that is typical for a presentation tool but never for eLearning. Text animations can be replace by effects on texts. If you don't need output for mobile devices, rollovers will work. Some effects are not supported, but the majority of effects are supported. You cannot use SWF animations, but replace them by HTML5 animations (OAM). Quizzes work perfectly, SCORM as well...  

What is so important that you seem to find the limitations very heavy? AutoPlay has been disabled by browsers.... not due to the eLearning tool. SWF has been banned by Apple.... without having a full-fledged alternative. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kim,

I know you said earlier today that you didn't think it was worth posting screenshots, but I would suggest you need to do this if you want more help with debugging this issue.  Until we can actually SEE the issue you are looking at this thread will go round in circles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What so you can see button that reads appear at x and pause at x … this is NOT the issue!

I have a bigger problem --- I am being told that whatever I do it wont really be supported by the end user. I need engaging interactive elearning… No matter what the MVP says, I need text to ease in and objects to appear and disappear with timing. The limitations are not going to be acceptable to my end users AT all and there’s been no solution offered that will provide interactivity and full engaging learning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have NOT told you that you cannot use easing in, objects appearing and disappearing. Sorry,  you don't want real help, although it looks like you need it. When we ask to post screenshots, you avoid it. When I tell what is not supported for HTML5 output, you seem not to understand. Everything works fine in HTML5 for me, what could be the cause?

BTW I am not just a MVP, I am an ACP, AEL and the number 1 Legend in the eLearning Community. I never used all those 'badges' but it seems appropriate in your case. 

Be sure, will not bother you anymore in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I do, but your attitude right from the beginning has been condescending and that of a huge know-it all (and you want everyone to recognize it) rather than the heart of a teacher. You don’t listen and you have an intimidating rough personality… I would prefer not to deal with you, you are right.

I know enough to be sure that a screen shot isn’t going to help me at all for my situation based on what you asked but if an MVP (or in your case many badges to make yourself sound important) told me specifically what screen shot they needed to evaluate and why, I would be more than accommodating. I work for a company and we have restrictions on sharing information.

And now you place personal assumptions on me that are opinionated, All you care about is your ego…I think your personality is very toxic and I would rather you not help me – hopefully someone else can assist. Someone who can have discussions without building themselves up while making others feel like incompetent idiots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kim, you have a funny way of asking for unpaid help from people whose time is just as valuable as your own.

Whether your e-learning is engaging or not is more related to the way you (the instructional designer) have conceived the content.  The software doesn't do that.  And you as a designer are also responsible for deciding the level of interactivity.  Captivate or HTML5 doesn't impose that many limitations on either of these aspects.  There are plenty of people around the world who use the tool every day to create engaging and interactive content.

We asked for screenshots because after debugging lots of issues over many years we can often recognise the underlying problem when we can see exactly what you're seeing.  But since you seem to feel that's too much too ask, I'm unable to help any more either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure my request is funny at all… There’s real issues here.

I feel your counterpart has a funny way of providing help. I would prefer not to get any advice from her anymore- she really annoyed me with the condescending way she approached this issue right from the very beginning.

Thank you for explaining why you wanted the screenshots. If you tell me exactly what screenshot you need to see I would be happy to provide it. What I was pushing back on was the “attitude” and general request. If there’s something specific… please ask it and I would be happy to provide in a way that helps you troubleshoot efficiently and so that we are both working on a solution rather than going down some rabbit hole.

P.S. I have been using CP since version 6 and have never run into these issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can rest assured that Lilybiri won't be providing any more help to you. Have no fear of that.

Just show one or more screenshots that demonstrate exactly what you mean by "seeing the previous slide in the background of the current slide".

If you are publishing to either SWF or EXE, then show another screenshot of what your settings are on the dialog screen when you open Edit > Preferences > Project > Size and Quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rod.

Here you go … I am not seeing this ghosting on all the slides even though some have the same kind of elements on them.

I have tried checking and unchecking the following preferences and then republishing but issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot see any screenshot.  Did you insert the graphic using the image icon on the toolbar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources