• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why won't my PPTX files import into Captivate 9?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-

I'm working in PowerPoint for Mac. version 15.31. Part of the Office 365 Suite. When I try to import the presentation in to Captivate 9, I get an error message that suggest that the file may be damaged or the version of PowerPoint may be too old.  The version that I'm using appears to be the most recent and I can't see where the file is damaged. Any suggestion for how to rectify this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 
Dafilms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your version number: is it 9.0.2.437?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri-

That is the version of Captivate that I'm running.  9.0.2.437

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot really recommend any solutions, because I never use PPT import in Captivate. You don't have to believe the message about file being too old, there must be another reason. I have also Office 365 and a very short PPT for testing reasons and that one can be imported. Can you try to import a limited set of slides instead of the whole presentation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.PPT files seem to import fine, but .PPTX files do not.  I tried to import a single slide .pptx and to failed as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you activate  High Fidelity when importing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't seem to be getting far enough into the importing process to be presented with the High Fidelity option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My memory may be faulty but I seem to recall something about the process being compatible with only certain versions of PowerPoint. It may be reporting that the file is too old but in fact, your version of PowerPoint might be too new. If there is an option to save your PowerPoint with backward compatibility with version 2013 or 2010, you might have success with that.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

One workaround is to just launch the PPT presentation and record it using Captivate, just as you would with other apps.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been able to successfully import .pptx files into Captivate 9, but the import is basically worthless. Objects from PowerPoint do not import as individual objects in Captivate. You can't manipulate those objects, modify animations, etc. Articulate's products fare far better with PowerPoint content from my experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, that has been written a lot of times on this forum. If you want a PPT-converter, use a plugin: Adobe Presenter, iSpring or Articulate Presenter.  PPT is not a good base for an eLearning course, it is a presentation tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar experience in that the import simply turned the slides into static images. Is there a way to import animations and such from PPTs into Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yikes but they are SO expensive by comparison! Have you found any alternatives to Articulate for importing PPTs (with objects and animations intact) into Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As we have said many times before here, there is no way to import PPT slides into Captivate so that the PPT objects and animations become Captivate objects and animations.

The 'alternative' is very simple.  Just build your projects in Captivate from the ground up.  Leave PowerPoint behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to save my PPT to an older verion (97) and then it will import.  Even then, there is alot of reformating to do.  It might not be worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources