• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows10 Captivate2019 access to files without admin rights?

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a large healthcare organization.  I develop and work with Captivate created eLearnings.  Previously I was on Windows7, used Captivate9 with no issues.  When we moved to Captivate2019, for some reason I had to get administrator priveleges to my computer to continue to use the software.  Then, when we upgraded to Windows10 our IT department is now saying we can't access Captivate2019 without an admin account created, but when logging to Captivate now as an administrator, we then can't access our Captivate files unless we do a lot of transferring and transferring back.

Has anyone else encountered anything similar?  To me it sounds a bit irrational and ill-thought through.

I have attached rationale I plan to ask leadership/IT to revisit, but wanted to see if this community has heard of anything similar.

(Also, sidenote, does it take everyone else as long to publish HTML also - noted in attachment?)

TOPICS
Getting started , Installation and licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Windows 8 and Windows 10 introduced much tighter security controls.  It was introduced specifically to make Windows harder for malware to break in.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/user-account-control/how-user-...

Captivate is not like most other applications you might have on your computer.  It requires deep-level access to areas of the system in order to record voiceover and take screen captures etc.  That level of access represents a risk to the operating system security. This is the reason why all current Captivate versions now require the user to have full Administrator Privileges in order to function properly.  Captivate might function without you being an Admin, but you could experience lots of random issues, especially when it comes to screencapture.

When approaching the IT dudes about getting this level of access, I usually explain to them the different circumstances of this application and tell them that if they won't provide me with Admin privileges, then it's likely I will be ringing them all the time about issues, and I won't be able to do the work I have been contracted to do. 

If the IT people are up to the task, they should be able to provide you with a custom user profile that gives you Admin privileges just for Captivate and other related apps it requires (e.g. Adobe Media Encoder).  Your admin access would be limited to just those apps and nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources